Does anyone know where to find solutions to MIT's 8.04 psets?

In summary, solutions to MIT's 8.04 psets can be found on various online resources, such as Course Hero and Chegg. These solutions are often submitted by students who have completed the psets, but it is important to use them as a reference and not to simply copy them. MIT's OpenCourseWare also provides resources and solutions for the 8.04 psets, including lecture notes and problem-solving tips from the course instructors. Additionally, collaborating with classmates and seeking help from the professor or teaching assistants can also be beneficial in finding solutions to these challenging physics problem sets.
Phys12
Specifically, for this section/year: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2016/assignments/.

I ask for those problem sets because I am following Prof. Barton Zwiebach's lectures on edX and the website doesn't seem to parse the HTML for the assignments always. What ends up happening, as a result, is that the website sometimes doesn't display all the questions or sometimes doesn't display the prompt. I contacted the edX team about a couple of weeks ago but they haven't gotten back to me (possibly due to the pandemic).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try contacting the professor directly?

berkeman said:
Did you try contacting the professor directly?
Yes, he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Though, I sent the email only a few days ago (not a couple of weeks ago as I did for the edX support team/staff)

So, you do understand that for textbooks the Instructor Solution Manual is generally limited to the instructors teaching this class. This seems like a different situation, so we will be interested in the responses you receive from the instructor and the school.

berkeman said:
So, you do understand that for textbooks the Instructor Solution Manual is generally limited to the instructors teaching this class. This seems like a different situation, so we will be interested in the responses you receive from the instructor and the school.
Yes, although, I did find a different version of the course that has the solutions online: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/assignments/. I'm hesitant to do this course instead because I'm already half-way through with the other course and they seem to cover slightly different material or are taught different speeds...

Likes atyy and berkeman
Update from edX: since the course got archived in 2018, they expect some features such as some of the homework problems and discussions to no longer function.

Related to Does anyone know where to find solutions to MIT's 8.04 psets?

1. Where can I find solutions to MIT's 8.04 psets?

There are several resources available for finding solutions to MIT's 8.04 psets. One option is to check online forums and discussion boards where students may have shared their solutions. Another option is to reach out to classmates or teaching assistants for help. Additionally, some professors may provide solutions or hints for psets on their course websites.

2. Is it okay to use solutions from previous years' psets?

It is generally not recommended to use solutions from previous years' psets as they may not align with the current course material and expectations. It is important to try to solve the psets on your own and seek help from professors or classmates if needed.

3. Are there any online resources specifically for MIT's 8.04 psets?

Yes, there are some online resources that offer solutions or hints for MIT's 8.04 psets. One popular resource is the MIT OpenCourseWare website, which provides free access to course materials and problem sets from past semesters. Another option is to search for specific pset problems on sites like GitHub or Stack Overflow.

4. Can I get in trouble for using solutions from external sources?

It is important to follow academic integrity guidelines and avoid plagiarism when using solutions from external sources. It is best to use these solutions as a reference or guide and not copy them directly. If in doubt, it is always best to consult with a professor or teaching assistant for clarification.

5. How can I check my solutions to make sure they are correct?

One way to check your solutions is to compare them with the solutions provided by the professor or teaching assistants. You can also try running your code through a debugger or testing it with different inputs. Additionally, working with classmates or attending office hours can help identify any errors in your solutions.