Does anyone know what course will I cover stuff that isn't on the standard Single Var

In summary, you will cover hyperbolic functions and parametric/polar curves in your third year Calculus course, but you will also study differential equations and physics applications in that class.
flyingpig
Does anyone know what course will I cover stuff that isn't on the standard Single Variable Calculus topics?

In most universities, no one even covers the hyperbolic functions or paramatric/polar coordinates. Most don't even have the time to pick up the power series/taylor series.

My upperclassmen tells me that I wil get a chance to do Taylor series and other series when I get to third year. I forgot to ask them about the other topics like centre of mass and such.

Now personally I have had been exposed to some of these topics ike parametric functions and polar curves (not in great detail on studying the families of these curves..., I can graph them and find areas/volumes).

Does anyone know when I will cover hyperbolic functions and really get a chance to study paramatric and polar curves detailed?

Physics news on Phys.org

flyingpig said:
Does anyone know what course will I cover stuff that isn't on the standard Single Variable Calculus topics?

In most universities, no one even covers the hyperbolic functions or paramatric/polar coordinates. Most don't even have the time to pick up the power series/taylor series.

My upperclassmen tells me that I wil get a chance to do Taylor series and other series when I get to third year. I forgot to ask them about the other topics like centre of mass and such.

Now personally I have had been exposed to some of these topics ike parametric functions and polar curves (not in great detail on studying the families of these curves..., I can graph them and find areas/volumes).

Does anyone know when I will cover hyperbolic functions and really get a chance to study paramatric and polar curves detailed?
We've done hyperbolic functions, as well as power and Taylor series in our second Calculus course, but have only tangentially touched upon certain aspects of polar coordinates. The latter are in the lecture notes from previous years, though.

Everything you mentioned was covered in my Calc 2 class including an entire chapter on Diffy Q's. It's a 5 credit math class and the pace was ridiculous. At a lot of other schools around here Calc 2 is 4 credits so I'm guessing that's the difference. Take a look at the curriculum at your school for that class, most of the class webpages show exactly what we will be covered.

You will understand the Hyperbolic functions better when you study complex analysis. They are (roughly) rotations of the Trig functions by 90 degrees on the complex plane.

However, you should take it one step at a time...

Ryker said:
We've done hyperbolic functions, as well as power and Taylor series in our second Calculus course, but have only tangentially touched upon certain aspects of polar coordinates. The latter are in the lecture notes from previous years, though.

DrummingAtom said:
Everything you mentioned was covered in my Calc 2 class including an entire chapter on Diffy Q's. It's a 5 credit math class and the pace was ridiculous. At a lot of other schools around here Calc 2 is 4 credits so I'm guessing that's the difference. Take a look at the curriculum at your school for that class, most of the class webpages show exactly what we will be covered.

Thank you to you two for putting my university and myself to shame...

Pretty much all of the courses in our university are 3 credits and each course runs from for 3 to 4 months

We have only done power/Taylor series out of those in my Calc II course, which is also 4 months long. However, we did spend nearly a month on differential equations (2nd order linear homogeneous and nonhomogeneous), most likely because I go to an engineering-focused college. I guess every Calc curriculum is a little different! What book does yours use? We have Stewart's, b/c of the physics/engineering applications.

flyingpig said:
Thank you to you two for putting my university and myself to shame...

Pretty much all of the courses in our university are 3 credits and each course runs from for 3 to 4 months
Do you have a single Calculus stream? Because we took that in our Honors course, but I doubt they learn about those things in the regular one, at least from what people who are doing that tell me. Apart from that, I have no idea what class you'd be able to learn those things in.

mcdowellmg said:
We have only done power/Taylor series out of those in my Calc II course, which is also 4 months long. However, we did spend nearly a month on differential equations (2nd order linear homogeneous and nonhomogeneous), most likely because I go to an engineering-focused college. I guess every Calc curriculum is a little different! What book does yours use? We have Stewart's, b/c of the physics/engineering applications.

We also use Stewart's 6e (damn that man, this guy is actually coming out with another 7e book. I am now stuck with two editions of his book in my home lol). I think we spent like 2 months on just useless topics like "integration by table".

Ryker said:
Do you have a single Calculus stream? Because we took that in our Honors course, but I doubt they learn about those things in the regular one, at least from what people who are doing that tell me. Apart from that, I have no idea what class you'd be able to learn those things in.

my class covered (the highlights): integration by tables (which no one will ever use...), integration by trigonometric substitution (I find this handy knowing a few more tricks, but it's useless again...), integration by partial fractions (useful to know, but useless...), integration by parts (I think we spent like 3 weeks on this, a useful technique, but I don't think we needed to spend too much time on it), chapter 7.6 of Stewart's, which is "Integration Strategy" (basically a review class...again useless), sequence/series: geometric series (we did this in pre-calc, so I don't know why we are doing it again in calculus...), integral test.

That's pretty much all I can think of. Now that I remember, we didn't even do surface area and cross sections

flyingpig said:
my class covered (the highlights): integration by tables (which no one will ever use...), integration by trigonometric substitution (I find this handy knowing a few more tricks, but it's useless again...), integration by partial fractions (useful to know, but useless...), integration by parts (I think we spent like 3 weeks on this, a useful technique, but I don't think we needed to spend too much time on it), chapter 7.6 of Stewart's, which is "Integration Strategy" (basically a review class...again useless), sequence/series: geometric series (we did this in pre-calc, so I don't know why we are doing it again in calculus...), integral test.

That's pretty much all I can think of. Now that I remember, we didn't even do surface area and cross sections
Oh damn, that does seem a bit (= understatement) much :biggrin: We did that in a single lecture, and the whole lot of integration techniques and tables took less than or maybe a week :smile: It didn't save us from getting hardcore integrals, though, it's just that we were shown the technique and maybe a really simple (almost trivial) example, and then anything went as far as problems on the homework/midterm/final were concerned :smile: What you're saying seems to be in line with the regular stream at my university, though, and I think it's a bit odd you don't at least have an option to take a more rigorous course.

We skipped hyperbolics but covered series in Calc 2 and Parametric/polar pretty extensively in Calc 3.

We also did a bit on ODE in calc 2 (separation of variables and homogeneous first order). I thought that was pretty pointless since pretty much everyone that takes Calc 2 also takes ODE.

My calc 3 class spent a lot of time on vector valued functions (very pointless and trivial) and rushed through multiple integration.

flyingpig said:

Your university has syllabi and course descriptions that will have this information. We can only guess.

My three calculus courses have covered (in order):

Limits; differentiation; applications of differentiation; basic integration (including u-subs); hyperbolic, transcendental, and other funky functions (end of calc I); integration by parts; trig substitution; partial fraction expansion; integration tables; integration approximation; improper integrals; applications of integration; Power, Taylor, McLauren series; parametric equations and polar coordinates in calculus (end of calc II); vectors, with cross and dot product; analytic geometry in threespace, including vector-valued functions; derivatives with functions of n variables (partial derivatives); double integrals; and triple integrals with cylindrical and spherical coordinate systems.

If any of these are missing, then you're probably going to see them in another class.

Related to Does anyone know what course will I cover stuff that isn't on the standard Single Var

1. What is the purpose of covering material that isn't on the standard Single Var course?

The purpose of covering material that isn't on the standard Single Var course is to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject. This additional material can help students apply their knowledge to real-world problems and prepare them for more advanced courses.

2. Will covering extra material make the course more difficult?

Not necessarily. The additional material may require more effort and critical thinking, but it can also enhance the learning experience and make the course more interesting. Plus, it will give students a broader knowledge base to work from.

3. How will I know if I am expected to know the extra material?

Your instructor will likely provide a syllabus or course outline that clearly states which topics will be covered, including any additional material. It is important to communicate with your instructor if you have any questions or concerns about the course content.

4. Is it necessary to know the extra material for exams?

It depends on the course and the instructor's expectations. Some instructors may include questions on the exams that cover the extra material, while others may not. It is important to review all material thoroughly to ensure a strong understanding.

5. Will the extra material be relevant to my future career or further studies?

It is difficult to say as it depends on your specific career or field of study. However, learning additional material can never hurt and may even give you an advantage in your future endeavors. It is always beneficial to have a well-rounded understanding of a subject.