Does anyone else question general relativity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the bending of a light ray as it reaches Earth and the question of whether this bending would be the same if light had a tiny but finite mass. It is mentioned that there are other experimental tests that support the theory of general relativity, and that the Newtonian way of calculating light deflection gives only half of the observed value. It is suggested to read articles on this topic in Wikipedia for further understanding.
vdawg
My understanding of the proof goes like this

x -star
| --- light ray
|
| O -sun
|
o -earth

The light ray is seen to bend a tiny bit when it reaches earth.
My question is this. If we forgot about relativity and assumed the light had a tiny but finite mass (like 10^-100 kg), wouldn't the light bend by just about the same ammount? I tried to test it but I don't know if the gravity d equation can even be approximated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are other experimental tests, like the precession of the orbit of mercury which support GR.

Doing the light deflection the Newtonian way - which is similar to your proposal - gives half the observed value.

Do some reading in the Wiki articles.

Related to Does anyone else question general relativity?

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein. It describes how matter and energy interact with the fabric of space and time, and how this interaction results in the force of gravity.

2. How is general relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between two objects, while general relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

3. How has general relativity been tested and proven?

General relativity has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the detection of gravitational waves.

4. What are some current challenges to general relativity?

Some current challenges to general relativity include its inability to fully explain the behavior of black holes and the need for a unified theory that combines general relativity with quantum mechanics.

5. Why do some people question general relativity?

Some people question general relativity because it challenges traditional understandings of gravity and the nature of space and time. Additionally, there are ongoing debates and research about the limitations and potential modifications of the theory.