Does an open circuit have any voltage?

In summary, the conversation discusses basic electronics and the concept of open circuits. The participants question whether there is any current in an open circuit and why there is no voltage drop on a resistor when there is no current. They also inquire about the current that charges the switch and whether it acts as a capacitor. The explanation is that any two conductors with a gap between them can act as a capacitor, but it is usually insignificant at typical frequencies.
siriasis
Hi guys,
I have recently started to think about basic electronics and realized that I don't know electricity theory at all cause I couldn't answer a few questions asked by my friend.

Imagine an open circuit(forum_pic)

Wiill there be any current at all. I understand that when the switch is opened, the circuit is considered to be opened and in opened circuit there is no place for a current.

why there is no voltage drop on the resistor when there is no current. I understand that Ohms law tells us that if the current is 0 then the voltage drop is zero. U=IR = 0*R= 0
But i don't understand this on atoms and electrons scale. Could you please explain it to me.

What about current that will charge switch right contact. Does it act as a cap?

Attachments

• forum_pic.JPG
    forum_pic.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
siriasis said:
lWhat about current that will charge switch right contact. Does it act as a cap?
Any two conductors with a gap between them do act like a capacitor, but not a very large one. The twin lead electric cord that goes to an appliance contributes some capacitance across the mains, but it is so small as to be of no consequence at typical mains frequency. It might be significant if you wanted to use the switch in a high quality audio circuit.

Related to Does an open circuit have any voltage?

1. What is voltage in an open circuit?

Voltage in an open circuit is the potential difference between two points in the circuit, measured in volts. In an open circuit, there is no complete path for the current to flow, so the voltage remains constant throughout the circuit.

2. How is voltage measured in an open circuit?

Voltage in an open circuit is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the points in the circuit to get an accurate measurement.

3. What happens to voltage in an open circuit?

In an open circuit, the voltage remains constant throughout the circuit. This is because there is no path for the current to flow, so the voltage does not change between the two points being measured.

4. How does voltage affect the flow of current in an open circuit?

In an open circuit, the voltage determines the amount of potential energy available to push the electrons through the circuit. Without a complete path, no current will flow, regardless of the voltage. However, a higher voltage will result in a higher potential for current to flow if a complete circuit is created.

5. Can voltage be present in an open circuit?

Yes, voltage can be present in an open circuit. It is the potential difference between the two points in the circuit and does not require a complete path for it to exist. However, without a complete circuit, no current will flow.