Does an Atom Lose Energy? Understanding the Role of EM Waves and Photons

In summary, EM waves are generated when an electron accelerates in an atom, and this energy is used to do things like keep the atom together.
Tominator
Hi
I was wondering whether atom loses its energy. From what I know, a moving charged particle, let`s say electron, has magnetic field and if the particle changes direction, the field changes as well. Change in electro-magnetic field is a wave, EM waves are propagating in photons and a photon has energy. So am I missing something or does atom really lose energy?
Thanks for answers

Physics news on Phys.org
...but in when a particle changes its direction [of motion] it accelerates in a EM field. Accelerates = gains energy...
Though, yes, it can have a acceleration in the opposite direction of motion [deceleration] and lose energy.

I'm afraid Edi doesn't have it quite right here.

An electron in an atom would lose energy by radiation, if it were not for quantum mechanics. In fact, QM was developed to answer the questions "why are atoms so big and last so long", because classically,` the electrons would keep spiraling inward.

To be more clear, by particle I meant electron in atom. Elctrons in atom are moving chaoticly and chaoticly moving charged particle creates EM waves.

Edi said:
...but in when a particle changes its direction [of motion] it accelerates in a EM field. Accelerates = gains energy...
Though, yes, it can have a acceleration in the opposite direction of motion [deceleration] and lose energy.

I agree, but if this acceleration/deceleration happens in a closed system of an atom - core and electrons, there is no loss of energy of an atom due to acceleration or deceleration of its electrons, but due to EM waves generated by this acceleration or deceleration - if I am not mistaken.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm afraid Edi doesn't have it quite right here.

An electron in an atom would lose energy by radiation, if it were not for quantum mechanics. In fact, QM was developed to answer the questions "why are atoms so big and last so long", because classically,` the electrons would keep spiraling inward.

Oh yes, I tought that QM explains that... but I am not so familiar with it, so I still do not understand why exactly electron doesn`t lose its energy by radiation - why doesn`t it radiate, even though "classically" it should ?

This question really bothered physicists some 100 years ago. It was successfully resolved with the advent of quantum mechanics. No, atom does not lose energy in a stationary state.

With loosing energy i kinda meant kinetic energy...
I interpreted the question as, well, when an electron accelerates in a EM field, it emits a photon - where does this energy comes from?
Not from the atom/ particle it self, but from the accelerating force. So no, [yes] atom does not loose energy.
Electrons do not really fly around the nuclei like planets around the Sun. There more like wave-like cloud or something, electrons don't lose energy while orbiting the nuclei - they do not orbit it and thus accelerate and lose a photon... (?)

Oh yes, I tought that QM explains that... but I am not so familiar with it, so I still do not understand why exactly electron doesn`t lose its energy by radiation - why doesn`t it radiate, even though "classically" it should ?

Because we are applying macroscopic physics to the microscopic universe. Classical physics is great for the mid macro level where we are at, but the electron isn't governed by those principles. They're not technically particles.

It will be difficult to explain "why" other than "QM says so" in a few lines. Whole books have been written about QM's role in this - if you are interested in learning, I would suggest taking a class on QM.

Thanks for answers.
Vanadium 50 said:
It will be difficult to explain "why" other than "QM says so" in a few lines. Whole books have been written about QM's role in this - if you are interested in learning, I would suggest taking a class on QM.

Seems that those classes on QM are inevitable...

Related to Does an Atom Lose Energy? Understanding the Role of EM Waves and Photons

1. What is an atom and how does it lose energy?

An atom is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element. It is composed of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and electrons orbiting around the nucleus. Atoms can lose energy through various processes, such as emitting electromagnetic waves or photons.

2. How do electromagnetic waves and photons play a role in an atom losing energy?

Electromagnetic waves and photons are forms of energy that can be emitted or absorbed by atoms. When an atom absorbs energy, it can cause an electron to jump to a higher energy level. This excess energy can then be released in the form of an electromagnetic wave or photon, causing the atom to lose energy.

3. Can an atom lose energy without emitting electromagnetic waves or photons?

Yes, an atom can lose energy through other processes such as collisions with other atoms or molecules, or through the transfer of heat. However, the emission of electromagnetic waves and photons is the most common way for an atom to lose energy.

4. Can an atom gain energy through the absorption of electromagnetic waves or photons?

Yes, an atom can gain energy through the absorption of electromagnetic waves or photons. When an atom absorbs energy, it can cause an electron to jump to a higher energy level, resulting in an increase in the atom's overall energy.

5. How does the loss of energy from an atom affect its properties?

The loss of energy from an atom can result in changes to its properties, such as its stability, reactivity, and ability to bond with other atoms. These changes can have a significant impact on the overall behavior and characteristics of the atom and the substances it makes up.