Does an aerial punch or kick transfer more power than a standing one?

Username34
All else, equal, does an airborne technique transfer more power?

I don't think it does but an instructional tape from the 80s claim so

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should better define the arrangement of the bodies, before, during and after the impact.

Also, power is the rate of flow of energy, and we do not know how long the contact lasts. The total energy transferred by the impact would be more relevant.

Baluncore said:
I think you should better define the arrangement of the bodies, before, during and after the impact.

Also, power is the rate of flow of energy, and we do not know how long the contact lasts. The total energy transferred by the impact would be more relevant.
Does the fact that my body is suspended in the air have any impact on mass? All else equal.

Welcome, @Username34 ! :cool:

Based on your practical experience, what is your opinion on that?
Not all airborne techniques are the same; do you have one specific in mind?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @Username34 ! :cool:

Based on your practical experience, what is your opinion on that?
Not all airborne techniques are the same; do you have one specific in mind?

My experience is that it adds weight, but it's possible thats due to greater momentum. My body should have the same mass in the air, right? So it shouldnt affect .

I am going to look up the exact quote from the 80s TaeKwonDO instructional. It think it's BS

I would argue that, most of the time, it doesn’t. In the air, you’re completely in the realm of Newton’s 3rd Law, so you’re going to lose some of your energy to applying that “equal and opposite reaction” that would push you away from your target. Better to redirect that, for lack of a better term, recoil, into the ground via your feet and legs, letting you transfer far more power.

Now, I will admit there’s a caveat to this: downward blows. If your intent is to drive your opponent into the ground, you can get more power behind your strike if you’re airborne and descending.

Tactically, though, it’s a huge gamble. You’re putting yourself in a position where you’re vulnerable to upsets and uncertain footing. I would argue it’s a safer bet to stay grounded and planted.

Then again, as an unscientific aside, my opinion is that if you’re in hand to hand fighting, you have severely screwed up. 😆

Username34 said:
Does the fact that my body is suspended in the air have any impact on mass? All else equal.

No.

Sadly, it is not the first time we have discussion on the efficiency of different techniques used in hand combat. They often end poorly, as the martial art community tends to use terms like "mass", "power", "force" very loosely, completely missing the fact they have a very precisely defined meaning in physics.

Likes Rive and BillTre