Does Adjusting Potentiometer Resistance Affect Volume in Amplification Circuits?

In summary, this circuit is bad and you should not use it. An op-amp needs a minimum wiper current to keep the wiper contact from developing problems over time. Having the wiper go straight into only the input of an opamp is a fundamental circuit design error.
Likith D
02461x02.png

The above is a circuit i found on the net regarding amplification of volume.
I needed to know if increasing the potentiometer resistance (between "cold" and "wiper"; terminal 1 and 2?) in the circuit would increase "volume"
Also, i could use a potentiometer resistance ( between "cold" and "wiper" ) to volume equation of the above circuit, given that the equation should consist of C1 (= C2) and R1 (= R2)...
Also would having multiple 9V batteries in series make the sound louder?
I'm just troubles with this circuit lately partly because i don't know much about electronics ( maybe I am even wrong in using some of the words the way i used above ) but... i hope to figure the questions out!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likith D said:
View attachment 205523
I needed to know if increasing the potentiometer resistance (between "cold" and "wiper"; terminal 1 and 2?) in the circuit would increase "volume"
Also, i could use a potentiometer resistance ( between "cold" and "wiper" ) to volume equation of the above circuit, given that the equation should consist of C1 (= C2) and R1 (= R2)...
Also would having multiple 9V batteries in series make the sound louder?
I'm just troubles with this circuit lately partly because i don't know much about electronics ( maybe I am even wrong in using some of the words the way i used above ) but... i hope to figure the questions out!
To see which direction increases the gain, just use the equation for the gain of a non-inverting opamp, and think about how the voltage divider changes at the inverting input as the wiper moves. :smile:

BTW, that circuit has a fundamental problem, and you should not use it, IMO. Potentiometers need to have a minimum wiper current to keep the wiper contact from developing problems over time. Having the wiper go straight into only the input of an opamp is a fundamental circuit design error.

Likith D, I think your arrangement is not going to work as you hope. Varying the pot changes the DC gain here, but you really need the output DC level to stay fixed at ½Vcc to accommodate the output AC swings.

I think you need a separate feedback network for DC, and use capacitor isolation so the pot is giving variations to feedback only at AC.

Increasing the voltage powering the op-amp will allow greater output, but you must stay within the manufacturer's voltage (and power) ratings for this particular IC, otherwise it may be destroyed.

Likes davenn and jim hardy
It is not a good idea to have that pot configured in the manner it is. With the wiper all the way in one direction there will be a gain of 1, which is fine. However, in the other direction the gain goes to open loop, or infinity if you prefer to think in that manner. This of course is separate from the issues previously posted in this thread.

What is the op amp part number?
Few op amps have the ability to drive a speaker very loudly.

Likith D said:
It's terrible !

Take a look at this one. It's explained well.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tidu765/tidu765.pdf

Omit the electret microphone part and apply input through R1 .

Here's a handy collection of opamp circuits. Figuring them out one by one will teach you a LOT .
https://www.ti.com/ww/en/bobpease/assets/AN-31.pdf
Note as a rule they don't show the power supply pins.
old jim

Likes berkeman
Likith D shows an amplifier that drives a speaker.
That suggests the common or garden LM386.

Baluncore said:
Likith D shows an amplifier that drives a speaker.
That suggests the common or garden LM386.
What a GREAT little amplifier !
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm386.pdf
Its inputs are ground referenced so there's no need for that "Virtual Ground" R1-R2.

For a typical 8 0r 16 ohm speaker Likith's C2 needs to be a LOT bigger.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Likith D said:
02461x02-png.png

@Likith D
as a number have stated, this is not the way to go

initially ...

1) you have given no part number or pin numbering --- so we don't even know if you are dealing with an op-amp or an actual audio amplifier ?
2) if it is an op-amp, forget it and have a close look at the PDF that @jim hardy provided in post #8 ( the one before this post)
it will get you out of trouble and have a good little amp working for you
3) Figure 10 in the datasheet Jim provided shows how to connect a volume control
Dave

Likes jim hardy

Related to Does Adjusting Potentiometer Resistance Affect Volume in Amplification Circuits?

1. What is a volume gain circuit?

A volume gain circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to increase the volume of an audio signal. It is often found in audio amplifiers and other sound systems.

2. How does a volume gain circuit work?

A volume gain circuit works by amplifying the audio signal it receives. This is typically done using transistors or operational amplifiers, which increase the voltage of the signal and thus increase its volume.

3. What are the components of a volume gain circuit?

A volume gain circuit typically consists of a power supply, input and output connections, resistors, capacitors, and transistors or operational amplifiers. Some circuits may also include potentiometers or other control elements for adjusting the volume.

4. Can a volume gain circuit be adjusted?

Yes, most volume gain circuits can be adjusted to some extent. This can be done by changing the values of the resistors or capacitors within the circuit, or by using a potentiometer to control the volume.

5. What are the benefits of using a volume gain circuit?

A volume gain circuit allows for control over the volume of an audio signal, which can be useful in a variety of applications. It can also help to improve the signal-to-noise ratio and overall sound quality of the audio signal.