Does Adding Detector D5 After BSa Affect the Interference Pattern at D0?

Placing a new detector, D5, after BSa would result in D0 never showing an interference pattern for D5. This is because the light traveling through or interacting with intermediate materials will not materially affect the results.
or4cle
Hi, I have a simple question regarding this experiment:

dia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2F2%2F21%2FKim_EtAl_Quantum_Eraser.svg%2F401px-Kim_EtAl_Quantum_Eraser.svg.png

If we were to place a new detector, say D5, immediately after BSa, would it mean that D0 never shows an interference pattern for D5? I think so, as it would seem this should be no different than the result obtained at D3, but just want to confirm my understanding of the experiment (and try to convince myself that that the light traveling through or interacting with intermediate materials (e.g. beam splitters, mirrors, etc.) is not materially affecting the results).

Physics news on Phys.org
or4cle said:
If we were to place a new detector, say D5, immediately after BSa, would it mean that D0 never shows an interference pattern for D5? I think so, as it would seem this should be no different than the result obtained at D3
Yes, that's correct.

Related to Does Adding Detector D5 After BSa Affect the Interference Pattern at D0?

1. What is the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that involves the observation of the behavior of light particles (photons) and the effects of measurement on their behavior.

2. How does the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment work?

In the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment, a photon is sent through a double-slit apparatus, creating an interference pattern on a screen. The photon is then split into two paths, with one path going through a prism and the other through a lens. The paths are then recombined and sent to a detector, which records the photon's position. However, the experimenter can choose to erase the path information before the photon reaches the detector, resulting in a different behavior of the photon.

3. What is the significance of the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment challenges our intuitive understanding of causality and the concept of "reality." It suggests that the behavior of particles can be influenced retroactively based on the observer's choice, even after the particle has already "decided" its path.

4. Does the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment have any practical applications?

While the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment may seem like a purely philosophical concept, it has practical applications in quantum cryptography and quantum computing. It also helps scientists better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any controversies or criticisms surrounding the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment?

There have been debates and criticisms surrounding the interpretation and implications of the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment. Some argue that it does not prove retrocausality or that it can be explained by other theories, while others see it as evidence for the "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand the implications of this thought experiment.