Does a Stationary Electromagnet Induce EMF in a Surrounding Coil?

In summary, hooking up voltage to a solenoid creates an electromagnet, which can be moved in and out of a larger coil to create an emf. The voltage generated is calculated using the equation -N\frac{\Delta(BA)}{\Delta(t)}. When attempting to observe a stationary electromagnet inside a larger coil, the attempt resulted in burning 3 resistors. It is unclear if the galvanometer's needle would move in this scenario.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hooking up voltage to a solenoid (coil of wire) creates an electromagnet. Moving the electromagnet in and out of a larger coil hooked up to a galvanometer creates an emf (voltage) in the larger current.

Does an emf get created for a *stationary* electromagnet inside a larger coil of wire?

Homework Equations

Voltage generated = [tex]-N\frac{\Delta(BA)}{\Delta(t)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution included burning 3 resistors. I hooked up 6VDC to a 10 ohm resistor in series with the smaller coil (electromagnet). Before I could count to five, the resistor was glowing hot. I increased the resistor to 27 ohms and the same thing happened (twice).

So, afraid of getting kicked by my professor, I wasn't able to directly see what was happening with a stationary electromagnetic coil inside the larger solenoid. Should the galvanometer's needle move when the electromagnet is stationary and not moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
JJBladester said:

Homework Statement

Hooking up voltage to a solenoid (coil of wire) creates an electromagnet. Moving the electromagnet in and out of a larger coil hooked up to a galvanometer creates an emf (voltage) in the larger current.

Does an emf get created for a *stationary* electromagnet inside a larger coil of wire?

Homework Equations

Voltage generated = [tex]-N\frac{\Delta(BA)}{\Delta(t)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution included burning 3 resistors. I hooked up 6VDC to a 10 ohm resistor in series with the smaller coil (electromagnet). Before I could count to five, the resistor was glowing hot. I increased the resistor to 27 ohms and the same thing happened (twice).

So, afraid of getting kicked by my professor, I wasn't able to directly see what was happening with a stationary electromagnetic coil inside the larger solenoid. Should the galvanometer's needle move when the electromagnet is stationary and not moving?

Could you predict what will happen with the equation you wrote down?

Related to Does a Stationary Electromagnet Induce EMF in a Surrounding Coil?

What is an electromagnet within a coil?

An electromagnet within a coil is a type of magnet that is created by running an electric current through a coil of wire. The magnetic field produced by the electric current causes the coil to become magnetized, creating a temporary magnet.

How does an electromagnet within a coil work?

An electromagnet within a coil works by using the principles of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. By coiling the wire, the magnetic field is concentrated, making the electromagnet stronger.

What are the applications of an electromagnet within a coil?

An electromagnet within a coil has many applications, including in electric motors, generators, loudspeakers, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as lifting heavy objects and separating materials in recycling facilities.

How can the strength of an electromagnet within a coil be increased?

The strength of an electromagnet within a coil can be increased by increasing the number of coils in the wire, increasing the current flowing through the wire, or using a magnetic core, such as iron, within the coil. The closer the coils are to each other, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

Can an electromagnet within a coil be turned on and off?

Yes, an electromagnet within a coil can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electric current through the wire. When the current is flowing, the electromagnet is turned on and produces a magnetic field. When the current is turned off, the electromagnet is turned off and the magnetic field disappears.