Does a Sliding Mass on an Incline Have a Horizontal Acceleration Component?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of choosing the x-axis for a mass sliding down an incline and falling a certain distance to the ground. The question is whether the mass will have an x-component of acceleration after it hits the ground, and the group discusses the necessary conditions for this to occur.
Natalie456
1. For the following, the x-axis is not allowed to be set along the ramp. If a mass, starting from rest, slides along a linear, frictionless incline of length D and then falls a distance h to the ground, will it have an x-component of acceleration?

2. Relevant kinematics formulas?

3. I wasn't certain. It does travel a distance of Dcosθ in the horizontal direction. I initially figured that, because it starts at rest and travels this horizontal distance, there must be some component of acceleration in the x-direction, as well as in the y-direction, but, now, I am uncertain. A similar question with the coordinate axis set similarly also confused me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I read the exercise is that you can choose the x-axis in any direction, except along the ramp. Thing to do is make a drawing, choose an x-axis direction and see if the actual acceleration (which way is that pointing ?) has a component along such an x-axis.

Natalie456 said:
If a mass, starting from rest, slides along a linear, frictionless incline of length D and then falls a distance h to the ground, will it have an x-component of acceleration?
Is the question asking if it will have an x-component of acceleration after it hits the ground, during the fall to the ground, or at any time during the whole process? Based on the wording, I would interpret it to be asking if it has an x component of acceleration after it hits the ground. But I'm not sure if that's what they meant. But in order to have an x-component of acceleration, there needs to be a net force acting in the x direction. And the result of that will be a change in the x component of velocity.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too suspicious (a lot of experience :smile: ?). If the exercise composer meant well, he or she may have thought of only two (the most frequently used) choices of coordinate systems: horizontal or along the incline.
Especially if you (and teacher?) are fairly new to the subject: a reasonable way to read the exercise is:
Natalie456 said:
will it have a horizontal component of acceleration during this last part of the trip

Related to Does a Sliding Mass on an Incline Have a Horizontal Acceleration Component?

1. What are the three components of acceleration?

The three components of acceleration are linear acceleration, tangential acceleration, and centripetal acceleration.

2. How is linear acceleration defined?

Linear acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity over time in a straight line. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of tangential velocity over time. It is a component of acceleration that occurs when an object is moving in a curved path.

4. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration directed towards the center of a circular motion. It is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion and is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

5. How are the three components of acceleration related?

The three components of acceleration are related through the Pythagorean theorem. The total acceleration is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual components. In other words, the magnitude of the total acceleration is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the linear, tangential, and centripetal accelerations.