Does a permanent magnet looses its magnetism?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of para-magnetic materials in a magnetic field. The main question is whether the magnetic field loses its magnetism when the para-magnetic material is accelerated towards it. The conversation also mentions the role of energy in generating a magnetic field and the magnetization of para-magnetic materials. The conclusion is that para-magnetic materials can become magnetized by a permanent magnet in a non-homogeneous field, and separating them requires energy.
Murtuza Tipu
The question is slightly deceiving however still simple for those academics therefore, here I present my question:

If I take a para-magnetic material and put it very close to a homogeneous magnetic field, the para magnetic material will start to accelerate towards the magnetic body thus it has kinetic energy (but I ensure it does not hit the magnet and stop it with my fingers) so does the magnetic field or body loose it magnetism or will the same magnetism stay? Because in Wikipedia, it says:

Energy is needed to generate a magnetic field both to work against the electric field that a changing magnetic field creates and to change the magnetization of any material within the magnetic field
However I'm sure that para-magnetic materials are not magnetized, so where is this energy coming from? Or is my understanding wrong if so can someone link me to a good website which uses mathematics and theory to show how para magnetic material works?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In a homogeneous field, the paramagnetic material does not move - why should it?
An acceleration towards permanent magnets just happens as their field is not homogeneous. You (partially) align the magnets in the paramagnetic material with the magnetic field and bring them closer together, this releases energy.
If you want to separate the objects again, you have to put in energy.
However I'm sure that para-magnetic materials are not magnetized
They get magnetized by your permanent magnet.

Related to Does a permanent magnet looses its magnetism?

1. How long does it take for a permanent magnet to lose its magnetism?

A permanent magnet can retain its magnetism for many years, even decades, depending on its quality and usage. However, factors such as exposure to extreme heat or strong magnetic fields can cause the magnet to lose its magnetism faster.

2. Can a permanent magnet regain its magnetism?

Yes, a permanent magnet can regain its magnetism if it is demagnetized due to factors such as exposure to heat or strong magnetic fields. This process is known as re-magnetization and can be done by exposing the magnet to a strong magnetic field or rubbing it against another magnet in a specific direction.

3. Will dropping a permanent magnet affect its magnetism?

No, dropping a permanent magnet will not affect its magnetism. However, if the magnet is dropped onto a hard surface, it may cause physical damage such as cracks or chips, which can lead to a decrease in its magnetic strength.

4. How can I prevent a permanent magnet from losing its magnetism?

To prevent a permanent magnet from losing its magnetism, it is essential to store it in a stable and consistent environment, away from extreme heat or strong magnetic fields. Additionally, avoid dropping or hitting the magnet, as physical damage can also affect its magnetic strength.

5. Can a permanent magnet lose its magnetism over time?

Yes, a permanent magnet can gradually lose its magnetism over time, even if it is stored and used properly. This process is known as demagnetization and can be caused by factors such as exposure to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or physical damage.