Does a moving charge posess a generated magnetic field?

In summary, any moving charge, including a single, free electron traveling at a high velocity, generates a magnetic field in accordance with Maxwell's equation. This can also be calculated using the Biot-Savart Law, which is a special case of Maxwell's equations for a moving charge.
zapnthund50
Hi all,

This question has been bothering me for some time, so here it is.
I know that moving a charged particle, like an electron, generates a magnetic field. I know that moving electric charges in a circle (a loop of wire) generates a magnetic field. The question is, will a charge moving in a straight line generate a field, and if so, what is the equation governing this? I am envisioning a single, free electron traveling at a high velocity for this question. I'm sure it must relate to magnetic moment somehow.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any moving charge gives rise to a magnetic field in accordance with Maxwell's equation. For your particular case, you can also just compute the electric foeld in the rest frame and Lorentz transform the EM field tensor to the frame where the particle is moving. This will result in a non-zero magnetic field.

Likes zapnthund50 and NFuller
Orodruin said:
Any moving charge gives rise to a magnetic field in accordance with Maxwell's equation. For your particular case, you can also just compute the electric foeld in the rest frame and Lorentz transform the EM field tensor to the frame where the particle is moving. This will result in a non-zero magnetic field.

Thanks! Based on your post, I did a little digging, and it looks like Maxwell's equations have been used to develop the Biot-Savart Law. There is a special case for a moving charge.

Related to Does a moving charge posess a generated magnetic field?

1. What is a moving charge?

A moving charge refers to a charged particle, such as an electron or proton, that is in motion. This motion can be linear or circular.

2. How is a magnetic field generated by a moving charge?

When a charged particle moves, it creates a circular magnetic field around itself. This is due to the interaction between the moving charge and the magnetic field lines, which causes the field lines to wrap around the charge's path.

3. Does the strength of the magnetic field depend on the speed of the moving charge?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field generated by a moving charge is directly proportional to the speed of the charge. The faster the charge is moving, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

4. Can a stationary charge generate a magnetic field?

No, a stationary charge is unable to generate a magnetic field. In order for a magnetic field to be generated, the charge must be in motion.

5. How does the direction of the magnetic field relate to the direction of the moving charge?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of the current (the direction in which the charge is moving) and the direction of the magnetic field lines.