Does a magnet radiate a line force or piont force

In summary, a person is working on a project that uses magnets, and they are having trouble figuring out how to orient the magnets. They plan on lining a rotor and an armature with magnets, but they are not sure how to do it. They saw someone else do it on YouTube, but they do not know how to do it themselves. They should work with currents or an electromagnet as a stator.
U4edot
I am working on a project, using magnets, and I am having trouble figuring out how to orient that magnets. I plan on lining a rotor and an armature with magnets. The magnets should repel off of each other and begin spinning, and before I hear this again, not that I don't appreciate you skepticism; this will not be perpetual motion. It will run for so long, the magnets will decay (at an accelerated rate), and then it will stop. So I plan on "burning" the magnets like a fuel. I have seen this working on YouTube (several times), However I don't know how to orient the magnets. I was thinking something like this.

S----N S----N
or
S N----S
!
!
N

If the magnets act like a point charge force then the first one would be the way to go. however the lines of force make me think that the second one would work.

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Won't work. The magnets will attract as well as repel, so there is no net acceleration. Sorry.
You should work with currents or an electromagnet as a stator. First, remember that the basic force is based on the Lorentz equation, where the force between a magnetic field B and a current in a wire I is equal to F = I x B, where the latter is a vector cross product (the force is perpendicular to both I and B). I am now looking at a small motor I built, where B (neodymium iron boron, on the rotor) is along the axis of rotation, and the stationary currents I are radial, giving a force along theta. I use a Hall effect sensor to switch the current. The total power is about 18 miiliamps at 250 millivolts. I have no iron in the stator (for demonstration purposes).

I would like to clarify that magnets do not radiate a force in the traditional sense. They have a magnetic field that extends around them and interacts with other magnetic fields or magnetic materials. This field can be visualized as lines of force, but it is important to note that these lines are simply a representation of the direction and strength of the magnetic field, not a physical force being emitted.

In terms of orienting the magnets for your project, the best approach would be to experiment with different orientations and see which one produces the desired effect of repelling and spinning. It is also important to consider the strength and placement of the magnets, as well as the design of the rotor and armature, in order to achieve the desired result.

I would caution against relying solely on YouTube videos for guidance, as they may not accurately represent the scientific principles at play and may not provide a comprehensive understanding of the project. It would be beneficial to consult with a trained scientist or engineer for guidance and to ensure the safety and effectiveness of your project.

Overall, the orientation of the magnets will depend on the specific design and setup of your project, and it may require some trial and error to determine the best approach. I wish you success in your project and encourage you to continue learning and exploring the fascinating world of magnetism.

Related to Does a magnet radiate a line force or piont force

1. Does a magnet have a line or point force?

It depends on the distance from the magnet. At close distances, a magnet has a point force, meaning the force is concentrated at a specific point. However, at larger distances, the force becomes more spread out, resembling a line force.

2. How does a magnet's force change with distance?

The force of a magnet follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance from the magnet increases, the force decreases exponentially. This is why the force appears more spread out at larger distances.

3. Can a magnet's force be blocked or shielded?

Yes, a magnet's force can be blocked or shielded by certain materials such as iron or steel. These materials contain domains that align with the magnetic field of the magnet, canceling out its force. This is the principle behind using magnets to shield electronic devices from interference.

4. Why do magnets attract or repel each other?

Magnets have two poles, north and south, and opposite poles attract each other while like poles repel. This is due to the alignment of the magnetic domains within the magnet, creating a magnetic field that interacts with other magnetic fields.

5. Can a magnet's force be turned off or reversed?

Yes, the force of a magnet can be turned off or reversed by altering the alignment of its magnetic domains. This can be achieved by heating the magnet past its Curie temperature or by exposing it to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction. Specialized materials, such as electromagnets, can also have their magnetic force controlled by electrical currents.