Does a Jumper Drop Immediately When Jumping Out of a Plane?

• Thread starter AgentPancake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adding velocities and how it applies to a person jumping off a plane and dropping an object out of a moving car. The effects of air resistance and the conservation of energy are also mentioned. The teacher's statement may imply a lack of understanding of physics, but it is important to consider the context and intention behind it.
AgentPancake
my teacher said he will just drop from the spot he jumpe up from, not continue moving in the direction of the plane for a while. Is this the same when i drop a object i am holding out of the car window in a moving car?

Physics news on Phys.org

God I hope your teacher isn't a physics teacher. You will continue moving forward but will be slowed down due to the air resistance over time.

Also, when you drop an item out of the car, it also travels forward as well, but again air resistance slows it down.

Just to add to what Pengwuino :smile: says …

this is all about how we add velocities

Vjumper,ground = Vjumper,plane + Vplane,ground

see eg http://www.jfinternational.com/ph/problems-on-vectors.html" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

kay thx, so to confirm the kinetic enerygy doesent start from 0 when he starts to jumps off the plane right

Relative to the ground, no.

Your teacher would certainly make a bad bombardier!

(In defense of the teacher, who is not here to make his/her own defense, I have know students to tell me their teacher said such and such, to find later that the teacher asked if such and such were true in an attempt to get the students to think about it.)

Well, if all you are interested in is how long it takes for the jumper to reach the ground, then even with (a separable form of) air resistance it will be irrelevant how fast the plane was moving, and it will take just as long for the jumper to reach the ground as if he had been jumping from a tower at the altitude of the plane. Also, (with no air resistance) the energy of the jumper is divided into a constant kinetic part along the "x" axis, and a constant kinetic/gravitational potential part along the "y" axis. Maybe that's what your teacher meant? I doubt that your teacher would have forgotten Newton's laws, but even so it sounds like he or she does a bad job conveying the subject accurately.

Related to Does a Jumper Drop Immediately When Jumping Out of a Plane?

1. What forces act on a jumper jumping out of a plane?

The two main forces acting on a jumper are gravity and air resistance. Gravity pulls the jumper towards the ground, while air resistance slows down the jumper's fall.

2. How does air resistance affect a jumper's fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, increases as the speed of the jumper's fall increases. This means that the faster the jumper is falling, the more air resistance will slow them down.

3. Will a jumper fall straight down or will they move horizontally?

At the moment of jumping out of the plane, the jumper will have a horizontal velocity that is equal to the plane's forward velocity. As they fall, the force of gravity will pull them straight down, but air resistance may cause them to move slightly in a horizontal direction.

4. How does a parachute affect a jumper's fall?

When a parachute is deployed, it creates a large surface area that increases air resistance. This slows down the jumper's fall and allows them to land safely on the ground.

5. How long does it take for a jumper to reach the ground?

The time it takes for a jumper to reach the ground depends on several factors, including the height from which they jumped, their weight, and air resistance. On average, a jumper will reach the ground in about 10 seconds.