Does a field with 0 value "exist"?

• B
  • Thread starter black hole 123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Value
In summary: But to be honest I cannot see what difference it could possibly make.This is the point of applying parsimony in scientific theory. If you add something to a theory and it doesn't change the predictions, someone else is going to take it back out because the simpler theory does the job.
black hole 123
this has bugged me for quite a while. i was listen to chalmers talk about consciousness and making comparison consciousness to the field generated by a mass/charged particle. i know this is slightly philosophical question, but does a field with uniformly 0 value exist in the sense we mean tree/people exist? the problem is, if you say in a room with no charges, a EM field will 0 value exists in that room, then i can just postulate an infinity of other fields existing but they just have 0 value. if you say it doesn't exist, then that sort of implies EM fields with non 0 value don't exist either.

sorry if this sounds philosophical, i know the rules of this forum very well i don't have any bad intentions, I am just stumped by this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tend to think of the field as existing everywhere and just having a value of 0 in some locations. But to be honest I cannot see what difference it could possibly make.

black hole 123 said:
if u say in a room with no charges, a EM field will 0 value exists in that room, then i can just postulate an infinity of other fields existing but they just have 0 value.
So what? If they don't do anything then what's the point of speculating about whether or not they exist? This is the point of applying parsimony in scientific theory. If you add something to a theory and it doesn't change the predictions, someone else is going to take it back out because the simpler theory does the job.

The only question is whether having a field that's sometimes there and sometimes not is a more parsimonious concept than a field that's always there but sometimes zero. Like Dale I tend to the latter interpretation, but I've certainly used language that implies the former. Unless you can construct a theory that makes different predictions in the two cases, it isn't a question with a scientific answer.

Likes Dale
black hole 123 said:
... i can just postulate an infinity of other fields existing but they just have 0 value...
Sure, have a field day with that.

Likes king vitamin, nasu, Ibix and 2 others
A.T. said:
Sure, have a field day with that.

That sure came out of left field.

Likes WhatIsGravity, king vitamin, A.T. and 2 others
LOL :biggrin:

If there's a field that always has the same value at any point in spacetime, it could just as well be modeled as a constant source term in the field equations of anything it interacts with. If it can have some other value that can be measured, then it should be regarded as an actual field.

Related to Does a field with 0 value "exist"?

1. What is a field with 0 value?

A field with 0 value refers to a mathematical concept where all elements in the field have a value of 0. This means that any operation performed on these elements will result in a value of 0.

2. Can a field with 0 value exist?

Yes, a field with 0 value can exist in mathematics. It is a theoretical concept that is used in various mathematical theories and models.

3. How is a field with 0 value different from an empty set?

A field with 0 value is a set of elements that all have a value of 0, while an empty set has no elements at all. In other words, a field with 0 value is a non-empty set, whereas an empty set has no elements to begin with.

4. What are some real-world examples of a field with 0 value?

One example of a field with 0 value is the set of real numbers under the operation of addition. In this case, the element 0 serves as the identity element, meaning that when added to any other real number, it results in the same number. Another example is the set of matrices with 0 entries under the operation of matrix addition.

5. How is a field with 0 value useful in scientific research?

A field with 0 value is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for the creation of mathematical models and theories that can accurately describe and predict real-world phenomena. Additionally, it helps in simplifying complex calculations and problem-solving processes.