Does a conductor create magnetic field when moving?

In summary, when electrons move in a conductor, a magnetic field is created. However, when a piece of wire is moved, the movement of both electrons and protons cancels out the magnetic field. In an electric circuit, the slow movement of electrons is not a factor, as the amount of electrons moving through the conductor is what matters. The drift velocity of electrons is very slow, around .02 mm/sec, and can be calculated using the formula for current and wire diameter. This information was found by looking up "drift velocity" on Wikipedia.
GhostLoveScore
Magnetic field is created when electrons move in the conductor, as far as I know. In the electric circuit electrons move with a speed of few mm/s when the circuit is closed.

So, if I took a piece of wire and moved it, would it generate magnetic field? I suspect not, but I am wondering what is the difference when electrons are moving in the electric field inside the wire, or when they are moving when we move the wire.

Physics news on Phys.org
GhostLoveScore said:
Magnetic field is created when electrons move in the conductor, as far as I know. In the electric circuit electrons move with a speed of few mm/s when the circuit is closed.

So, if I took a piece of wire and moved it, would it generate magnetic field? I suspect not, but I am wondering what is the difference when electrons are moving in the electric field inside the wire, or when they are moving when we move the wire.
When you move the wire, you are moving electrons and also the protons in the nucleus. As these charges are opposite polarity, the effects cancel out. When a current flows in a wire, the free electrons do the moving, whilst the remainder of the atoms, which are positive, are heavy and do not move much. So we see a movement of negative charge in this case.
It is worth mentioning that when the electrons move, it is slow, but the charge involved is very great.

Likes GhostLoveScore
GhostLoveScore said:
Magnetic field is created when electrons move in the conductor. In the electric circuit electrons move with a speed of few mm/s when the circuit is closed.

All that matters is how many electrons move through the conductor in a given time.
The speed of the electrons (how far in a given time) is irrelevant.

When you say the movement of electrons "is slow", how slow is that?

Beanyboy said:
When you say the movement of electrons "is slow", how slow is that?
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity, under Numerical example.

In their calculation, the electrons in a 2mm diameter wire with a 1 A. current are moving at about .02 mm/sec.

Wow! Fascinating article. Just read over the gist of it and even with my rudimentary math skills, the numbers are fascinating. Thanks for sharing. I'd never have thought to look up "drift velocity".

Beanyboy said:
I'd never have thought to look up "drift velocity".
I wouldn't have, either. I looked up "electron speed in a wire" and followed a link on the wikipedia page to their page on "drift velocity."

Related to Does a conductor create magnetic field when moving?

1. How does a conductor create a magnetic field when moving?

A conductor creates a magnetic field when moving due to the movement of electric charges within the conductor. This movement of charges creates a circular magnetic field around the conductor, known as the right-hand rule.

2. Is the magnetic field created by a conductor always in the same direction?

No, the direction of the magnetic field created by a conductor depends on the direction of the current flow within the conductor. If the current changes direction, the direction of the magnetic field also changes.

3. Can a conductor create a magnetic field when it is not moving?

Yes, a conductor can create a magnetic field even when it is not moving. This is known as a static magnetic field and is created by the alignment of the electrons within the conductor.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field created by a conductor?

The strength of the magnetic field created by a conductor depends on the current flowing through the conductor, the distance from the conductor, and the material of the conductor. A higher current, closer distance, and more magnetic material will result in a stronger magnetic field.

5. Can a conductor create a magnetic field in a vacuum?

Yes, a conductor can create a magnetic field even in a vacuum. This is because the movement of electric charges within the conductor is not affected by the absence of air or other matter.