Does a CD's Outer Edge Spin Faster? Math Explained!

• Thread starter Donna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edge Spin
In summary, the outer edge of a CD does not spin faster than the inner edge. This is due to the constant angular velocity of the CD, which means that all points on the CD's surface travel at the same speed. However, the linear velocity of the outer edge is greater than the inner edge, meaning that the outer edge covers more distance in the same amount of time. This can be explained using basic mathematical formulas, such as the circumference formula and the relationship between linear and angular velocity.
Donna
My son has asked me a question I cannot answer. Can someone help?

Does any given point on the outer edge of a CD (or any spinning object, like a record album), turn at a faster speed than a given point on the inside edge, because it is going a farther distance in the same amount of time?

What is the math involved?

Thanks.

Donna

Physics news on Phys.org
All points on the CD make the same number of revolutions per unit time, but the linear distance traveled varies with the distance from the center. The outermost part of the CD travels faster than the innermost part.

Linear velocity (speed) = Radius (Distance from center) * Angular velocity (revolutions per unit time)

Donna said:
My son has asked me a question I cannot answer. Can someone help?

Does any given point on the outer edge of a CD (or any spinning object, like a record album), turn at a faster speed than a given point on the inside edge, because it is going a farther distance in the same amount of time?

What is the math involved?

Thanks.

Donna
Yes, the points further from the centre (of rotation) will move faster.

All the points have the same speed of rotation, though. e.g. 33 rpm.

But, the speed of rotation (called the angular velocity) is related to the circumferential speed of the point like this,

v = wr

where v = peripheral velociity
w = angular velocity
r = radius, i.e distance from the centre of rotation.

Related to Does a CD's Outer Edge Spin Faster? Math Explained!

1. Why does the outer edge of a CD spin faster than the inner edge?

The outer edge of a CD has a larger circumference compared to the inner edge. This means that for each rotation, the outer edge has to travel a longer distance than the inner edge, resulting in a higher speed.

2. Is there a mathematical equation to calculate the speed difference between the outer and inner edge of a CD?

Yes, the equation is v = ωr, where v is the tangential speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the CD. As the radius increases, the tangential speed also increases.

3. How does the speed of the outer edge of a CD affect the audio quality?

The speed of the outer edge of a CD does not directly affect the audio quality. However, if the CD is spinning too fast, it may cause the audio to skip or distort due to the laser not being able to read the data accurately.

4. Can the speed of the outer edge be adjusted to improve audio quality?

No, the speed of the outer edge is determined by the rotational speed of the CD and cannot be adjusted. However, keeping the CD and player clean can help improve audio quality.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the speed of the outer edge of a CD?

The speed of the outer edge can also be affected by the quality of the motor in the CD player and any external forces such as vibrations or friction. These factors can cause the CD to spin at a slightly different speed, but it should not significantly affect the audio quality.