Does a c-not gate conserve angular momentum?

In summary: So is the radiation that propagates through the walls. This radiation is now also entangled with the control and target bits. This makes the gate a source of entanglement, and a sink of entanglement.In summary, a cnot gate alters the spin states of the gate, control, and target, but does not conserve angular momentum.
Phrak
Does a c-not gate conserve angular momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org

cnot(control, target)
--------------------------
cnot(|0>, |0>) = |0>, |0>
cnot(|0>, |1>) = |0>, |1>
cnot(|1>, |0>) = |1>, |1>
cnot(|1>, |1>) = |1>, |0>

Your question doesn't make sense. A CNOT gate is just a unitary operator acting on an arbitrary tensor product of two-dimensional Hilbert spaces. To talk about physical quantities like angular momentum, you need to specify the precise implementation of the qubits in the system. For example, if you're using photons to represent qubits, it obviously doesn't make a whole lot of sense to talk about angular momentum.

Manchot said:
Your question doesn't make sense. A CNOT gate is just a unitary operator acting on an arbitrary tensor product of two-dimensional Hilbert spaces. To talk about physical quantities like angular momentum, you need to specify the precise implementation of the qubits in the system. For example, if you're using photons to represent qubits, it obviously doesn't make a whole lot of sense to talk about angular momentum.

Photons have angular momentum. The kets represent electon spin states, up and down.

Last edited:

I don't see why this should be a hard or uninteresting question.

Either 1) I don't get it, and it's nonsense to talk about the total angular momentum of two entangled electrons,

Or 2) spin states of two electons acted upon by a Cnot gate have their spin states entangled with the gate.

Or 3) I'm completely lost and will never understand quantum mechanics, and so why bother.

I think most people find this uninteresting (myself included). Maybe if you could tell us why you are interested in this others would be interested too. What if it is conserved? What if it isnt?

If you think of a single qubit (spin), an arbitrary single qubit gate is designed to change the spin (perform unitary rotation of the spin). So obviously angular momentum is not conserved.

If you consider two qubits and perform a controlled not gate, or a controlled-anything gate you change the spin of one of the qubits depending on the state of the other. I'm pretty sure the angular momentum is not conserved under such an operation. And why should it be? I would guess you make the appropriate manipulations by applying magnetic fields so there is no spin-rot symmetry or anything like that.

Not a quality answer but maybe it is something.

Of course angular momentum, in the bigger context, is conserved. A real functioning gate is not an isolated system.

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v75/i25/p4714_1
For instance, is being pumped with a laser. That's where any change in total angular momentum is being supplied from.

Yes after writing my post I realized that Phrak maybe was concerned with the conservation of total angular momentum of the universe. But obviously this is how we always model systems acted upon by external means. We supply energy, angular momentum, etc, and thus break certain symmetries...

That's true, jensa, I haven't made it very interesting.

Thanks, alxm. I'll try to get ahold of the article.

To understand decoherence, we need to know where qbits are entangled, and how.

If I get this correctly, after the operation of a cnot on the control and target bits, the spin states of control and target are not the only spin states effected, but the spin states of the gate, itself is altered. This would mean that the truth table of a cnot gate is incomplete. If it's incomplete, how is it reversible?

If the operation is preformed by bathing in a source of radiation, the source of radiation is now entangled with the two qbits, as well as the walls of the container, where any stimulated radiation from the qbits may be absored. Radiation source and sink are part of the gate.

Last edited:

Related to Does a c-not gate conserve angular momentum?

1. What is a c-not gate?

A c-not gate, also known as a controlled-not gate, is a two-qubit gate in quantum computing that performs a logical operation on two qubits (quantum bits). It flips the state of the second qubit if and only if the first qubit is in the state "1".

2. Does a c-not gate conserve angular momentum?

Yes, a c-not gate does conserve angular momentum. This is because the gate only operates on the state of the second qubit, leaving the first qubit unchanged. Therefore, the angular momentum of the system remains constant.

3. How does a c-not gate conserve angular momentum?

A c-not gate conserves angular momentum through the principle of superposition in quantum mechanics. The gate operates on the second qubit by flipping its state, but this operation does not change the overall angular momentum of the system as it is in a superposition of states. Hence, the angular momentum remains conserved.

4. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of angular momentum in a c-not gate?

No, there are no exceptions to the conservation of angular momentum in a c-not gate. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is applied in all quantum operations, including the c-not gate.

5. Why is the conservation of angular momentum important in quantum computing?

The conservation of angular momentum is important in quantum computing because it is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of quantum systems. Understanding and applying this principle allows for accurate and reliable quantum computations. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the development of quantum algorithms and technologies.