Does a Buckyball spin like an electron or like a baseball?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the spin of an electron and a baseball, with the conclusion that the two are not the same. The concept of quantum spin and its relationship to classical spin is also discussed, along with the idea that a buckyball can rotate like a top in space. The conversation also touches on the concept of angular moments of inertia of molecules and how they are related to their rotational motion. The question is then raised about what happens when a black hole consumes polarized light, with the conclusion that the black hole will spin faster. Lastly, the concept of g-factor is briefly mentioned and its difference between orbital motion and particle spin.
jimgraber
Gold Member
Does a Buckyball spin like an electron or like a baseball?

We are often told that an electron does not really spin like a baseball.

Only one (or two, if you count up and down) spin states, for example.

How about a Buckyball?

Does it spin more like an electron, or more like a baseball?

Where is the dividing line?

How can you measure the difference?

TIA,

Jim Graber

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the angular moments of inertia of "buckeyballs," adamantane, SF6, Xe, and an electron?

Quantum spin isn't the same thing as spin the way a baseball turns. Elementary particles, hadrons, and nuclei have quantum spin, which is an intrinsic characteristic of it, but doesn't actually represent spinning motion (an electron doesn't even contain 1 spin, it's 1/2 spin.) An electron doesn't spin like a top, it just has spin.

A bucky ball can spin in space like a top, ergo, it's classical angular momentum.

As far as I know, there can't be a dividing line because these are two different things?

Bystander said:
What are the angular moments of inertia of "buckeyballs," adamantane, SF6, Xe, and an electron?
I read your reply to suggest that all but electrons spin like baseballs. Is this what you intended?
If so, the dividing line is smaller than I expected. What about a proton or a neutron? Do they also spin like baseballs?

Nerp.

I googled around a bit and found this nice write up on why a classical spin model for an electron does not work:
http://www.physicspages.com/2013/01/16/electron-as-a-classical-spinning-sphere/
I did not find any useful angular moment of inertia for molecules. Wolfram alpha kept giving me the moment of inertia at a distance of one meter.
I still do not have any reputable reference that would help answer my questions.

I wonder how it would be to try spinning a molecule like tri-substituted methane with one Florine, one Chlorine and one Bromine, ie HCFClBr.At least in theory you could tell what direction it was pointing.

This nice reference on rotational spectroscopy

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/molecule/rotrig.html

seems to discuss a diatomic molecule rotating almost like a baseball, except that the rotation is quantized in discrete steps.

So does a diatomic molecule rotate more like an electron or more like a baseball?

I think the answer is more like a baseball.I guess you can always say the rotation of the baseball is also quantized into discrete steps, just very small ones

jimgraber said:
moment of inertia for molecules
Bond lengths of molecules (inter-nuclear distances) are O(0.1 nm). Moments are O(10-47) (H2) to O(10-40(?)) kgm2.

Likes bhobba
A buckyball might have intrinsic spin (the purely QM property) - not sure how all the electrons add up. Even if it has, it is small.
It can certainly rotate (the thing with classical equivalent) - the rotation will still be quantized but a classical rotation is probably not a bad model for such a large molecule.

Likes bhobba
I have never understood this myself. The point is often made that quantum spin is different than classical spin. But quantum spin is still quantized angular momentum. These things are not totally unrelated.

Maybe a different way to ask the question. What happens if a black hole eats a lot of polarized light? To conserve angular momentum something has to give. Does the black hole spin faster or does it have some kind of large quantum spin number attached to it?

The black hole will spin faster.

Intrinsic particle spin and orbital motion differ in their g-factor. For orbital motion it is always 1, for particle spins it is not.

Great, now if I can wrap my head around what this g-factor is I may learn something.

Related to Does a Buckyball spin like an electron or like a baseball?

1. Does a Buckyball spin at all?

Yes, a Buckyball can spin. In fact, all objects in the universe have some degree of spin, including atoms and molecules like Buckyballs.

2. How does the spin of a Buckyball compare to that of an electron?

The spin of a Buckyball is much slower and less pronounced than the spin of an electron. The spin of an electron is an intrinsic property, meaning it is always the same, while the spin of a Buckyball can vary depending on its environment.

3. What causes a Buckyball to spin?

The spin of a Buckyball is caused by the motion of its constituent atoms. The arrangement and bonding of these atoms create a net angular momentum, resulting in the overall spin of the Buckyball.

4. Does the spin of a Buckyball have any practical applications?

Yes, the spin of Buckyballs has been utilized in various applications, such as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and as building blocks for nanotechnology.

5. Is the spin of a Buckyball affected by external forces?

Yes, the spin of a Buckyball can be affected by external forces such as magnetic fields or collisions with other particles. This can cause changes in the direction and speed of its spin.