Exploring Groups for GR and Quantum Gravity

In summary: So usually people just work with the Lorentz group as the gauge group, and that's what's covered in this course.
alexh110
In trying to get my head round GR and quantum gravity, I'm puzzled about the following questions:

Is the gauge group for gravity defined as the group of all possible Weyl tensors on a general 4D Riemann manifold?
Is it a subgroup of GL(4)?
How do you derive the number of gravitational force bosons from the group structure?

What groups represent all possible Riemann curvature tensors, and all possible metric tensors?

What is the equivalent of the Lorentz group for GR?
I.e. the group of transformations between all possible reference frames?
Is this a subgroup of GL(4)?

How is all of this connected with the conformal group? What is the purpose of conformal invariance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is [the gauge group of gravity] a subgroup of GL(4)?
Only if there are no fermions, in which case it would be SO(3,1) (or rather the connected part of it). To account for fermions the double cover, SL(2,C) is used instead.
How do you derive the number of gravitational force bosons from the group structure?
normally it would be the number of generators of the group. here it is complicated somewhat by the fact that lorentz transformations do not leave graviton flavor invariant, so it is a matter of interpretation whether there are 6 types or just 1(depending on if you consider them distinct particles anyway, or consider them all to be the same particle because they are the same upto a lorentz transformation).
What groups represent all possible Riemann curvature tensors, and all possible metric tensors?
They don't seem to be endowed with a natural binary operation, so you should specify the group operation you are considering.
What is the equivalent of the Lorentz group for GR?
I.e. the group of transformations between all possible reference frames?
Is this a subgroup of GL(4)?
The equivalent group is the group of continuous transformations that locally look like lorentz transformations(essentially a lorentz transformation for each point in space-time such that the mapping from space-time to lorentz transformations is continuous).

I've been told elsewhere that the gauge group for gravity is the general diffeomorphism group (i.e. in terms of transformations of the metric field tensor), which is what you're describing at the end there. But how does this tally with it being SL (2,C)? As I recall, SL (2,C) is related to the Lorentz group: so perhaps you are looking only at infinitessimal local transformations of the field? I suppose this is analagous to what you do in Yang-Mills gauge theory.

Also shouldn't the gauge group have representations which contain the particle spectrum to which gravity couples. I wondered how this works in the case of gravity, both in terms of representations of SL (2,C), and the general diffeomorphism group?

jtolliver said:
it is a matter of interpretation whether there are 6 types or just 1(depending on if you consider them distinct particles anyway, or consider them all to be the same particle because they are the same upto a lorentz transformation).

I'm not quite clear where the 6 comes from? I'm guessing it is the number of generators of SL (2,C)?
Do you mean that there would be 6 types of graviton if you had a flat space-time manifold; but for a curved manifold there is only one?

It depends how you're formulating your theory.

Typically you first have to decide what we mean by a 'gauge group of gravity' eg some mapping from spacetime to a lie group.

Now, this can be done in several ways.. It can be done with the lorentz group, the full poincare group (inhomogenous lorentz group), or even SU(2).

To read of gravity and how it effects masses, you probably want to work with the universal covering of the Poincare group as the connection ... SL(2,C). The reason this is wanted is b/c it is easier to deal with than using projective representations and imposing superselection rules on SL(2,C)/Z2 (eg the poincare group).

Now, typically the full diffeomorphism group is really a symmetry of spacetime, not of its gauge bundles. You can change this, in some theories, but that gets confusing.

1. What is the purpose of exploring groups for GR and Quantum Gravity?

The purpose of exploring groups for GR and Quantum Gravity is to understand how the principles of group theory can be applied to the concepts of General Relativity (GR) and Quantum Gravity. Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of symmetries, and it has been shown to be a powerful tool for understanding the fundamental principles of physics. By exploring groups, scientists hope to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying structure and symmetries of these two theories.

2. How are groups related to General Relativity and Quantum Gravity?

Groups are closely related to General Relativity and Quantum Gravity because both theories involve the study of symmetries and their effects on the laws of physics. In GR, the principles of general covariance and diffeomorphism invariance rely heavily on the use of groups, particularly the Lorentz group. In Quantum Gravity, groups play a crucial role in the formulation of theories such as loop quantum gravity and string theory.

3. What are some examples of groups used in the study of GR and Quantum Gravity?

Some examples of groups used in the study of GR and Quantum Gravity include the Poincaré group, which is the symmetry group of special relativity, and the diffeomorphism group, which is used in the formulation of general relativity. In Quantum Gravity, groups such as the SU(2) and SU(3) groups are used to describe the symmetries of particles and fields, and the Virasoro group is used in string theory.

4. How do groups help in understanding the symmetries of GR and Quantum Gravity?

Groups help in understanding the symmetries of GR and Quantum Gravity by providing a mathematical framework for studying and analyzing these symmetries. Group theory allows scientists to classify and categorize the different types of symmetries that exist in these theories, and to understand how they affect the behavior of physical systems. This can lead to new insights and predictions about the nature of space, time, and matter.

5. What are the potential implications of exploring groups for GR and Quantum Gravity?

The potential implications of exploring groups for GR and Quantum Gravity are vast. By gaining a deeper understanding of the symmetries and structures of these two theories, scientists may be able to develop more accurate and comprehensive models of the universe. This could lead to new technologies, such as improved methods for space travel or a better understanding of the behavior of black holes. Additionally, group theory may provide a bridge between the seemingly incompatible theories of GR and Quantum Gravity, leading to a more unified understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.