Do You Use a Permanent Cookie Blocker/Eraser?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, Evercookie and permanent cookies are becoming more common on websites, making it difficult for users to remove them. However, there are browser add-ons such as Self-Destructing Cookies that can erase or block these cookies. Some may find it inconvenient to constantly enter credentials, but it can also protect their privacy from third party cookies.
kyphysics
I've been learning about Evercookie and permanent cookies that websites will use nowadays to make it very difficult to remove a cookie.

But I've heard of browser add-ons that can erase/block these permanent cookies.

Anyone use them and/or know of a reputable one they'd be open to sharing? Any pros/cons?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes, I do use a cookie eraser: Self-Destructing Cookies. It is an add-on in Firefox. Don't know if it is the best nor the worst, but it works for me.
It is amazing how many cookies (permanent or not) get onto your system from third parties you've never ever heard about. The main con there is: you'll be asked to enter your credentials every time unless you whitelist the site. But is that really a con.

1. What is a permanent cookie blocker/eraser?

A permanent cookie blocker/eraser is a software or browser extension that prevents cookies from being stored on your device or removes existing cookies from your device. Cookies are small files that websites use to store information about your browsing habits and preferences.

2. Why would I want to use a permanent cookie blocker/eraser?

Using a permanent cookie blocker/eraser can help protect your privacy and prevent companies from tracking your online activities. It can also help improve your browsing speed and reduce the amount of targeted advertisements you see.

3. Are there any downsides to using a permanent cookie blocker/eraser?

One downside of using a permanent cookie blocker/eraser is that some websites may not function properly without cookies. For example, you may have to log in every time you visit a website instead of being automatically logged in if you have cookies enabled. Additionally, certain websites may not allow you to access their content if you have cookies disabled.

4. How do I know if I have a permanent cookie blocker/eraser already installed?

If you have a permanent cookie blocker/eraser installed, you may notice that your browser settings have been changed to block or delete cookies automatically. You can also check your browser's extensions or plugins to see if you have a cookie blocker/eraser installed.

5. Can I still manage my cookies if I use a permanent cookie blocker/eraser?

Yes, most permanent cookie blocker/eraser tools allow you to manage your cookies by whitelisting certain websites or blocking specific types of cookies. This can be useful if you want to allow cookies from certain trusted websites but still block others.