Do you think it's good to write basic history of the topic you're writing on?

In summary: Otherwise, the focus should be on the scientific content, not the people behind it. "In summary, it is not necessary to include a history of the topic you are writing about in a scientific paper, unless it is directly relevant to the subject. In most cases, a concise introduction that focuses on the observations and methods of development is more appropriate. Citations should also be limited to the most relevant works, rather than giving credit to discoverers. The exception to this would be if the paper is a review of the literature from a historical perspective. The main focus should be on the scientific content rather than the individuals behind it."
heartless
Hello,

Many of you have written scientific papers and here's my question: Do you think it is good to write some history about the topic you're writing on? For example, let's say I'm writing a paper on gravitational force and I added in intro a little history of brilliant discovery by Newton and later works by Einstein, my teacher crossed out all the introduction and said "We don't need that" isn't it good to give out the glory to discoverers?

Thanks,

Science news on Phys.org
heartless said:
Hello,

Many of you have written scientific papers and here's my question: Do you think it is good to write some history about the topic you're writing on? For example, let's say I'm writing a paper on gravitational force and I added in intro a little history of brilliant discovery by Newton and later works by Einstein, my teacher crossed out all the introduction and said "We don't need that" isn't it good to give out the glory to discoverers?

Thanks,

I'd say it's not necessary at all. The reader should already know.

Depending on the topic, some background is useful. But usually keep it short.

In a research paper, one should use background that is relevant to the topic of the paper.

In the case of Newtown or Einstein, rather than talk about the "brilliance", one should discuss the methods of observation and development of the theory.

Perhaps you could post the deleted part.

Jason has a good point, especially if the audience or reader is already familiar with the subject.

heartless said:
Hello,

Thanks,
I agree with the others. Only the most relevant works should be cited, and it should focus on the observations they made, not who made them (other than in the citation itself). Concise introductions are important in scientific writing; nobody wants to read an entire history of science before getting to the meat of the subject. Of course the exception is if you're writing a review of the literature from a historical perspective.

Related to Do you think it's good to write basic history of the topic you're writing on?

1. What is the purpose of writing a basic history of a topic?

The purpose of writing a basic history of a topic is to provide context and background information for your readers. It helps them understand how the topic has evolved over time and how it is relevant in the present.

2. How far back should I go when writing a basic history of a topic?

The length of the history you include in your writing depends on the scope and focus of your topic. Generally, you should go back far enough to cover the major developments and milestones that have led to the current state of the topic.

3. Is it necessary to include a basic history in all types of scientific writing?

While including a basic history can be helpful in most cases, it is not always necessary. If your topic is a highly specialized and niche subject, a brief overview of its history may not be relevant or necessary for your readers.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of the basic history I include in my writing?

To ensure the accuracy of the basic history you include in your writing, it is important to consult reliable and credible sources. Look for information from reputable academic journals, books, and articles written by experts in the field.

5. Can I include my own opinions or interpretations in the basic history section of my writing?

No, the basic history section of your writing should be based on factual information and objective analysis. It is not the place for personal opinions or interpretations. However, you can use the basic history as a foundation for discussing your own ideas and arguments in later sections of your writing.