Do wormholes require higher dimensions?

In summary: Standard Morris-Thorne wormholes are not like this, but Visser gave examples of wormholes that are like this.
friend
Every picture I've seen to illustrate wormholes is always a shortcut from one point on a 2D surface to another. And it's easy to see that the distance is shorter through the wormhole since we are view it from a 3D perspective. This makes me wonder if higher dimensions are required to construct wormholes. It seems the wormhole must travel through the higher dimension in order to create a shorter distance through the regular space. Do wormholes need higher dimensions to exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
friend said:
Every picture I've seen to illustrate wormholes is always a shortcut from one point on a 2D surface to another. And it's easy to see that the distance is shorter through the wormhole since we are view it from a 3D perspective. This makes me wonder if higher dimensions are required to construct wormholes. It seems the wormhole must travel through the higher dimension in order to create a shorter distance through the regular space. Do wormholes need higher dimensions to exist?

No, there is no higher dimension required. It's merely a product of trying to embed the wormhole geometry so that our human brains can visualize it (as you mention, embedding R^2 with a wormhole in R^3). To see this, you can just write down the wormhole geometry referring to only 4 coordinates, the normal (t,x,y,z). No reference to any fourth spatial dimension is required in the mathematics. (If this is uncomfortable to you, note that you can write down the surface of the sphere using only 2 coordinates, or the surface of a 3-sphere using only 3 coordinates. These both exist independently of the higher dimensions we typically try to embed them in.)

Nabeshin said:
No, there is no higher dimension required. It's merely a product of trying to embed the wormhole geometry so that our human brains can visualize it (as you mention, embedding R^2 with a wormhole in R^3).
I imagine, however, that a wormhole would change the topology of the universe, from a sphere to a toroid, right?

friend said:
I imagine, however, that a wormhole would change the topology of the universe, from a sphere to a toroid, right?

This actually depends on the nature of the wormhole. You can have what we might classically think of as a 'wormhole' (the example I'm seeing here is that of a narrow throat connecting to an umbilical 'baby universe', like this: http://images.quickblogcast.com/4988-4889/onedrop3.gif ), but nevertheless the global topology is still trivial.

I do think it's true that if you have a genuine wormhole to either a) a second, asymptotically flat universe, or b) another region of the same universe, that you create a torus-like topology (in terms of genus I'm not too sure how it actually changes). Note however that there is no local way to distinguish between the two situations I've just described, so attempting to discern anything about the topology from a wormhole is not advisory.

Nabeshin said:
No, there is no higher dimension required. It's merely a product of trying to embed the wormhole geometry so that our human brains can visualize it (as you mention, embedding R^2 with a wormhole in R^3). To see this, you can just write down the wormhole geometry referring to only 4 coordinates, the normal (t,x,y,z). No reference to any fourth spatial dimension is required in the mathematics. (If this is uncomfortable to you, note that you can write down the surface of the sphere using only 2 coordinates, or the surface of a 3-sphere using only 3 coordinates. These both exist independently of the higher dimensions we typically try to embed them in.)

Is that true? I always thought there has to be a jump in the extrinsic curvature in wormhole geometries. Having a jump in extrinsic curvature basically means that your manifold is embedded to a higher dimensional manifold in a funny way.

It's true. Neither a wormhole nor any other curved spacetime needs to be embedded in a higher dimensional space. We like to draw pictures of an embedding just for the purposes of visualization.

clamtrox said:
Is that true? I always thought there has to be a jump in the extrinsic curvature in wormhole geometries.

There does not have to be a jump in extrinsic curvature, but there can be, i.e., it is possible to "make" a wormhole by gluing together two 4-dimensional spacetimes along a 3-dimensional hypersurface such that the extrinsic curvature of the hpersurface is different on each side. Then, there is a delta function source for T on the hypersurface, just as there is a delta function charge density for charge sprayed onto the surface of a sphere.

Standard Morris-Thorne wormholes are not like this, but Visser gave examples of wormholes that are like this.
clamtrox said:
Having a jump in extrinsic curvature basically means that your manifold is embedded to a higher dimensional manifold in a funny way.

[edit]Bill_K posted while I was writing and thinking.[/edit]

No. Extrinsic curvature in standard general relativity usually refers to the the extrinsic curvature of a lower-dimensional surface embedded in 4-dimensional spacetime.

Related to Do wormholes require higher dimensions?

1. Do wormholes actually exist?

Currently, there is no empirical evidence for the existence of wormholes. However, they are a theoretical concept predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. Scientists are still researching and studying the possibilities of wormholes.

2. What are the dimensions required for a wormhole to exist?

According to the theory of general relativity, wormholes require at least four dimensions (three spatial dimensions and one time dimension) to exist. Some theories also suggest the need for additional dimensions beyond the four we experience in our daily lives.

3. Can humans travel through wormholes?

Currently, there is no known way for humans to travel through wormholes. The amount of energy and technology required is far beyond our current capabilities. However, some scientists believe that advanced civilizations may have the technology to utilize wormholes for travel.

4. Are wormholes stable?

The stability of wormholes is a topic of much debate among scientists. According to the theory, a wormhole would collapse almost immediately due to the immense gravitational forces. Some theories suggest that exotic matter or negative energy could stabilize a wormhole, but these are still hypothetical.

5. Can wormholes be used for time travel?

The concept of using wormholes for time travel is a popular one, but it is still purely theoretical. Theoretically, a wormhole could allow for time travel, but it would require an immense amount of energy and technology that is far beyond our current capabilities.