Do web servers get bad sectors?

• Thread starter Benjamin_harsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
In summary, I don't know if web servers get bad sectors, but I think it's a good idea to have a redundancy system in case they do.
Benjamin_harsh
Do web servers get bad sectors?
what i am asking is do physicsforums servers get bad sectors like our PC hard disk or not?
for suppose this forum thread got bad sectors, how does it open?

Computer science news on Phys.org
""Do web servers get bad sectors? "" - I don't know, but I would think it advisable to assume that they might. A program of preventive maintenance - eg. replacing drives well before their MTTF - might help lower the chances. I think it is possible to monitor the recording quality, so that blocks where retrieval confidence is falling can be taken out of use before they fail and drives with high levels of bad blocks can be replaced.

I would also expect that the web hosting service provider would mitigate their effects, should they occur.
The recording on the disc could incorporate redundancy to effect error detection and correction.
Redundant arrays of discs could cope with uncorrectable errors.
If, despite all precautions, live files were corrupted, I hope there would be a backup so that service could be resumed quickly. (Though this is really just another type of redundancy.)

A lot depends on Service Level Agreements. The more important data availability is, the more people will pay and the more you can spend on precautions. Probably nothing will keep the site up when the sun becomes a red giant, but until then I think it's just a question of $$.

Hard drives get bad sectors.

Any webhost will have sufficient fail-over and backup systems, as Merlin itemizes, that data is very rarely lost.

If you are utilizing a webhost where a single HD failure can cause loss of service or loss of data, it's time to get a new webhost.

Of course they do. Web servers are just hard drives* and as Dave pointed out, hard drives get errors. Serious web sites use RAID servers to cover for bad sectors and other disk errors.

* actually "web server" is hard drive plus server software (and usually a database), not JUST a hard drive.

The college where I work used to have a simple web server for faculty, staff and students' personal web pages. (I used to help run it.) Every few years we had a disk crash and had to replace the disk and restore everyone's data from a backup copy. But we didn't use anything fancy like a RAID for redundancy. If we had had a suitably configured RAID, when one of the disks failed, we could have simply swapped it out for a new one without affecting service.

Related to Do web servers get bad sectors?

1. What are bad sectors on a web server?

Bad sectors refer to areas on a hard drive that are damaged or unreadable. In the case of a web server, these sectors can affect the server's ability to read and store data, which can lead to performance issues and potential data loss.

2. How do bad sectors affect a web server?

Bad sectors can cause a web server to run slower as it struggles to read and write data. It can also result in data corruption, leading to website errors or even server crashes. In severe cases, bad sectors can make the server inaccessible and require replacement of the hard drive.

3. What causes bad sectors on a web server?

There are several potential causes of bad sectors on a web server. These can include physical damage to the hard drive, power outages or surges, and software or operating system issues. In some cases, bad sectors can also be caused by manufacturing defects in the hard drive.

4. How can I check for bad sectors on my web server?

There are a few ways to check for bad sectors on a web server. Some operating systems have built-in tools for scanning and repairing bad sectors, while others may require third-party software. It's also a good idea to regularly monitor server performance and look for any signs of data corruption or unusual errors.

5. Can bad sectors be fixed on a web server?

In some cases, bad sectors can be repaired on a web server. This may involve running a disk repair tool or replacing the affected hard drive. However, if the bad sectors are caused by physical damage, it may not be possible to fix them and the hard drive will need to be replaced.