Do we lose weight through exercise according to E=mc^2?

In summary, weight loss through exercise is not due to converting mass into energy, but rather through breaking down metabolites and excreting them. This is why weight loss is not solely due to water loss through sweating. The heat given off during exercise is from chemical reactions in the body, and is not the same energy referred to in E=mc2. Increasing metabolism can help with weight loss by using more energy, but the weight loss itself comes from excreting metabolites. The mass we lose is turned into water, carbon dioxide, and other materials such as hair and skin cells. In a diet, the goal is to exhale a dense amount of CO2 by taking in less and outputting more.
mtanti
Do we lose weight through exercise according to that equation? I mean fat is turned to heat during exercise right?

Biology news on Phys.org
mtanti said:
Do we lose weight through exercise according to that equation? I mean fat is turned to heat during exercise right?
No. That equation gives was is termed the rest energy of a particle of mass m. Indeed fat and carbohydrates (and protein to come extent) are metabolised to provide energy for respiration the rate of which increases during exercise. We lose weight not because we convert mass into energy but when we excrete the metabolites. i.e when we break down carbohydrates we excrete the waste products. I am not a biologist so this is probably a rough and ready explanation but I can say without a doubt that when you exercise you do not convert mass into energy. In fact, immediately after exercise probably all of the weight lost is due to water loss (sweating, ventilation etc.)

For a moment imagine if we did convert our mass into energy though! Say we lost a pound through exercise that would mean that we would produce about 4x1016J of energy! That's the same energy output that a large nuclear power station would produce of nearly 13 years! All from one pound of mass.

Last edited:
So where does the metabolised material go? All through roughage? I mean we are not losing weight because of lost water as sweat in the long run since water is something we consume a lot of during a diet...

mtanti said:
So where does the metabolised material go? All through roughage?
I believe most respiratory metabolites are excreted through urine. Look up respiration -Glycolysis, Krebs Cycle, Electron Transport chain to see what the metabolites are and perhaps you can see how they are excreted.
I mean we are not losing weight because of lost water as sweat in the long run since water is something we consume a lot of during a diet...
No, we are not. That is why I said immediately after exercise.

What about the heat we give off after intense physical activity? (Or the heat we're constantly giving off) Where does it come from? Does it come into us as heat, or does it come in as food/drink? Is this "heat energy" even the same kind of "energy" referred to in e=mc2?

It's heat released from chemical reactions in our body. Which means yes, it starts as food and drink

Office_Shredder said:
It's heat released from chemical reactions in our body. Which means yes, it starts as food and drink
Thank you! Is it the same energy as referred to in e=mc2?

Wally said:
Thank you! Is it the same energy as referred to in e=mc2?

No. To a very high degree, mass is conserved in biological processes and relativistic corrections are of the order of one part in billions. So the chemical energy given off is only from swapping electrons from higher energy states to lower ones.

mtanti said:
Do we lose weight through exercise according to that equation?

Certainly. How much? Burn a couple thousand dietary calories; you're only 10% efficient, so you've only released 106 Joules as heat by combusting carbohydrates or fats, and producing water and CO2. 106 Joules is equivalent to 10-11kg mass loss.

I mean fat is turned to heat during exercise right?

No, fat is turned into water and carbon dioxide which you lose by respiration, perspiration, and excretion.

So losing weight is a question of how much water and carbon dioxide we lose?

Excluding solid excretion, what else leaves our body in order to lose weight?

Why does increasing your metabolism help?

mtanti said:
Why does increasing your metabolism help?
Increases your rate of respiration, more carbohyrates metabolised producing more CO2 and water.

So basically the more you breathe, the more weiight you lose?

mtanti said:
So basically the more you breathe, the more weiight you lose?
I'd prefer it if we said the greater the rate of respiration the more energy we use. If we use more energy than we take in, then we will lose weight.

Yes we all know that the weight we gain depends on the difference between energy input and output but the question is what happens to mass we lose... Does it turn to carbon dioxide, sweat and feaces only?

mtanti said:
Yes we all know that the weight we gain depends on the difference between energy input and output but the question is what happens to mass we lose... Does it turn to carbon dioxide, sweat and feaces only?
Well, there's also sloughing of material such as hair and skin cells, but this is not dependent on metabolism, it's just a constant.

Wow... So basically what you're after in a diet is to exhale a dense amount of CO2?

Intake less, output more...

Related to Do we lose weight through exercise according to E=mc^2?

1. How does the equation E=mc^2 relate to weight loss through exercise?

The equation E=mc^2, also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, explains the relationship between mass and energy. In the context of weight loss through exercise, this means that the energy we expend during physical activity is equivalent to the mass (or weight) that we lose.

2. Does this mean that exercise alone can lead to weight loss?

While exercise does contribute to weight loss, it is not the only factor. Our diet, genetics, and overall lifestyle also play important roles in maintaining a healthy weight.

3. How much exercise is needed to lose weight according to E=mc^2?

The amount of exercise needed to lose weight varies for each individual, as it depends on factors such as current weight, metabolism, and intensity of the exercise. However, the general recommendation is to aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per week.

4. Can we use the equation E=mc^2 to calculate the amount of weight we will lose through exercise?

No, the equation E=mc^2 is a theoretical concept and cannot be used to accurately predict weight loss. Other factors, such as muscle gain, water weight, and individual body composition, also play a role in weight loss and cannot be accounted for in this equation.

5. Is weight loss through exercise a direct result of burning calories?

Yes, weight loss through exercise is primarily a result of burning calories. When we engage in physical activity, our bodies use energy (calories) to fuel our movements. This leads to a calorie deficit, which in turn leads to weight loss. However, other factors such as muscle gain and changes in metabolism also contribute to weight loss through exercise.