Do we know everything about 2d geometry?

In summary, Euclidean geometry is the oldest type of geometry and it is still studied today. There is not a general classification for general n-degree polynomial equations, but third degree polynomials can still be classified.
kramer733
I guess this is classified as euclidean geomtry right? So do we? If not, what else is there to know?

Physics news on Phys.org
kramer733 said:
I guess this is classified as euclidean geomtry right? So do we? If not, what else is there to know?

Well there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_trigonometry" for a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, we don't - people still hit upon new theorems in plane geometry.

Eynstone, can you give an example of a recent theorem in Euclidean geometry? Not that I don't believe you, just that it makes me wonder what is it that we didn't know about it until recently.

Kramer, If you like Euclidean geometry you might like finite(discrete) geometry. IMHO, it's a lot more fun. Have you studied it any?

Well, one thing that still deludes us is the classification of polynomial equations.
For polynomials of degree one, that is: aX+bY+c, we know what it looks like graphically: lines.
Polynomials of degree two have the general form

[tex]aX^2+bXY+cY^2+dX+eY+f=0[/tex]

These things are conic sections and can be classified as ellipses, parabolas and hyperbolas.
Third degree polynomials are far less understood, but can still be classified.
But in general, I don't think there's a general classification for general n-degree polynomials...

micromass said:
Well, one thing that still deludes us is the classification of polynomial equations.
For polynomials of degree one, that is: aX+bY+c, we know what it looks like graphically: lines.
Polynomials of degree two have the general form

[tex]aX^2+bXY+cY^2+dX+eY+f=0[/tex]

These things are conic sections and can be classified as ellipses, parabolas and hyperbolas.
Third degree polynomials are far less understood, but can still be classified.
But in general, I don't think there's a general classification for general n-degree polynomials...
Wouldn't that be algebraic geometry? That's a couple thousand years past Euclidean geometry. :-p (I guess discrete geometry is too... but I'm hypocritical.)

TylerH said:
Wouldn't that be algebraic geometry? That's a couple thousand years past Euclidean geometry. :-p (I guess discrete geometry is too... but I'm hypocritical.)

Well, yes, these questions are studied in algebraic geometry. However, the OP asked for things in 2D-geometry, and these questions are 2D-geometry.

If you only want Euclidean geometry, that is geometry that Euclid performed, then I guess that some research might still be possible in topics like triangle centers ( http://faculty.evansville.edu/ck6/encyclopedia/ETC.html )

Also, algebraic geometry isn't as young as one might think. The study of conic sections is as old as the elements of Euclid. The study of cubics however, was already performed by Newton, thus it's already about 500 years old.
Modern algebraic geometry is only about 50 years old, but it's roots lie very deep!

how can you ever justify a statement like is that ____ field is done? You cannot be done with a field of study , if you have yet to know all the questions!

Related to Do we know everything about 2d geometry?

1. What is 2D geometry?

2D geometry is the study of shapes and figures that exist in two dimensions, such as squares, circles, triangles, and rectangles. It involves understanding the properties and relationships between these shapes and how they can be transformed and manipulated.

2. Is 2D geometry the same as Euclidean geometry?

Yes, 2D geometry is a subset of Euclidean geometry, which is the study of geometry in two and three dimensions. However, 2D geometry specifically focuses on the properties and relationships of shapes in two dimensions.

3. How do we know everything about 2D geometry?

As with any scientific field, our understanding of 2D geometry is constantly evolving as new discoveries and theories are made. While we have a comprehensive understanding of many principles and concepts in 2D geometry, there may still be undiscovered properties and relationships waiting to be uncovered.

4. What are some real-world applications of 2D geometry?

2D geometry has many practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, design, and computer graphics. It is also used in everyday tasks such as measuring and constructing objects, calculating distances and areas, and understanding maps and blueprints.

5. Can 2D geometry be applied to other dimensions?

While 2D geometry specifically deals with shapes and figures in two dimensions, many of its principles and concepts can be extended to higher dimensions. For example, the Pythagorean theorem can be applied to calculate distances in three-dimensional space.