Do we exist within a singularity

• B
  • Thread starter benjamin1889
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Singularity
In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment about a monkey typing random words and the idea that given enough time, it could write everything that has ever been written. This concept is then applied to the universe and the question is raised whether the existence of life is inevitable due to endless matter aligning in a finite amount of combinations over an infinite amount of time. However, it is pointed out that the universe is believed to be finite and does not have a boundary. The concept of a singularity is also brought up, but its meaning is debated. The conversation then delves into the idea of a knowledge horizon and the understanding of our universe. The conversation ends with a discussion on the probability of extreme possibilities actually happening and the concept of a mathematical
benjamin1889
So there is a thought experiment about a monkey endless typing random words. Given a large enough amount of time, it is certain that the monkey will end up writing everything that has already been written from start to finish one after another. So this being applied to our current theory of the universe, does this not mean that with matter endlessly aligning into a finite amount of combinations over an infinite amount of time, that the existence of life is inevitable and is the embodiment of a possibility and an incomprehensible volume of time.

That being said we now believe that the universe is finite and does indeed have a boundary. So space time is not infinite, could it be possible that our universe is contained within a singularity. A place where space time is infinite, a place where all possibility become definitive. So life and the universe is merely a thing that could happen and there for had to happen. Murphy’s law!

<<Mentor's Note -- OP edtied his post above to make the different question shown below, after replies to the original question. >>

benjamin1889 said:
NEW TITLE: Is life inevitable?
So there is a thought experiment about a monkey endless typing random words. Given a large enough amount of time, it is certain that the monkey will end up writing everything that has already been written from start to finish one after another. So this being applied to our current theory of the universe, does this not mean that with matter endlessly aligning into a finite amount of combinations over an infinite amount of time, that the existence of life is inevitable and is the embodiment of a possibility and an incomprehensible volume of time.
If life is enivitable does this devalue it? Surely it means that everything is sort of preordained?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
benjamin1889 said:
That being said we now believe that the universe is finite and does indeed have a boundary.
I don't think anyone expects a boundary. It is not known if the universe is finite or not.
benjamin1889 said:
could it be possible that our universe is contained within a singularity
What does "within a singularity" mean? There is no such thing.
benjamin1889 said:
A place where space time is infinite
What does that mean?

Yeah the first bit is my mistake, was thinking of the known universe. Within a singularity means past the boarders of our current understanding. A knowledge horizon if you like. A place where time could be infinite and every possibility is forced to happen. Just sounds a lot like our known universe
mfb said:
I don't think anyone expects a boundary. It is not known if the universe is finite or not.What does "within a singularity" mean? There is no such thing.What does that mean?

benjamin1889 said:
A place where time could be infinte and every possibility is forced to happen. Just sounds a lot like our known universe

If it really sounds to you like our known Universe, then I think you should learn more about our Universe. No offence, but your definition doesn't make any physical/matematical sense. It's just fancy words put together to sound scientific-like...

benjamin1889 said:
Just sounds a lot like our known universe

To me it sounds more like woo.

Likes phinds
weirdoguy said:
If it really sounds to you like our known Universe, then I think you should learn more about our Universe. No offence, but your definition doesn't make any physical/matematical sense. It's just fancy words put together to sound scientific-like...
It does if our known universe is just a grain of sand in a beach that is existence. Just a possibility forced to happen by Murphy a law. Perhaps this is more of a philosophical question

benjamin1889 said:
Within a singularity means past the boarders of our current understanding. A knowledge horizon if you like.
You can't make up new definitions for words and expect that others understand you.

We live in a universe we understand quite well. There are many open questions, but we certainly do understand a lot.

mfb said:
You can't make up new definitions for words and expect that others understand you.

We live in a universe we understand quite well. There are many open questions, but we certainly do understand a lot.
It's not a new definition it is was it is, my mistake came with miss interpreting some facts about the Know universe. My main question is really much smaller and has been blown out of proportion. Thanks for being so understanding with a new member

benjamin1889 said:
does this not mean that with matter endlessly aligning into a finite amount of combinations over an infinite amount of time, that the existence of life is inevitable and is the embodiment of a possibility and an incomprehensible volume of time.
With an infinitely expanding universe, my understanding is matter will never align into a finite number of combinations due to irreversible processes increasing the entropy of the system. Regarding extreme possibilities actually happening, I'll use another thought experiment of flipping coins: while the probability of flipping a coin heads 1 million times in a row has a probability >0 over infinity, it's logically safe to say it will never happen.

Last edited:
A mathematical singularity is not a physical 'thing'.
It indicates a situation in which the usually applicable and trustworthy maths cannot be applied.

Likes 1oldman2
stoomart said:
With an infinitely expanding universe, my understanding is matter will never align into a finite number of combinations due to irreversible processes increasing the entropy of the system. Regarding extreme possibilities actually happening, I'll use another thought experiment of flipping coins: while the probability of flipping a coin heads 1 million times in a row has a probability >0 over infinity, it's logically safe to say it will never happen.
Surely when dealing with large numbers i.e. Infinite. Does this not mean that any possibility will eventually happen?

Likes 1oldman2
benjamin1889 said:
I'm not 100% sure what woo is haha. I'll will read your link when I finish work
:thumbup:Of course context is everything, Searching the term using Pf's search bar would be a useful shortcut.

benjamin1889 said:
Surely when dealing with large numbers i.e. Infinite. Does this not mean that any possibility will eventually happen?
The idea of "anything that can happen will happen" sounds like a romantic embrace of Murphy's law, which doesn't seem very pragmatic.

stoomart said:
The idea of "anything that can happen will happen" sounds like a romantic embrace of Murphy's law, which doesn't seem very pragmatic.
It's a romantic yes but surely it's true, flick a coin enough times and 10 heads will turn up in a row, flick enough times and every possible combination will appear. I'm not sure but I heard it is a mathamitical certenty?

It
1oldman2 said:
:thumbup:Of course context is everything, Searching the term using Pf's search bar would be a useful shortcut.
may very well be woo, I am coming to a conclusion filled in from many sources and I have made a lot of assumptions as I lack any astrophysics background. But to me at least the printable seems sound. I appreciate where dealing with small probabilitys but surely a probability is only as small as the time given for it to actually happen? May be complete phsudeo science, I dunno

benjamin1889 said:
It's a romantic yes but surely it's true, flick a coin enough times and 10 heads will turn up in a row, flick enough times and every possible combination will appear. I'm not sure but I heard it is a mathamitical certenty?
Also to our best records "anything that can happen will happen" was originally what he said. It was later adopted to the more widely known anything that can go wrong, will.

It seems likely that the universe is NOT infinite in time.
Big bang theory indicates that it had a beginning, and there are number of plausible theories pertaining to how it ends.
If the probability of something happening is so low that it's not going to happen in the lifetime of the Universe, that means that in fact it doesn't happen.

The ultraviolet catastrophe was inspired by the notion of a non zero probability that all possible emission frequencies must be realized.

rootone said:
It seems likely that the universe is NOT infinite in time.
Big bang theory indicates that it had a beginning, and there are number of plausible theories pertaining to how it ends.
If the probability of something happening is so low that it's not going to happen in the lifetime of the Universe, that means that in fact it doesn't happen.
Now this is a good response. However what if the start and end and possible restart are included? Does time then become infinite and if so would the possibilitys be reset. So if the universe starts and ends over and over, surely the eventually it would have to produce a universe like ours with complex life? Also if the multiverse is to believed then the need to include the repetition is in nesseray as there would be an infinite amount of timelines

benjamin1889 said:
Now this is a good response. However what if the start and end and possible restart are included? Does time then become infinite and if so would the possibilitys be reset. So if the universe starts and ends over and over, surely the eventually it would have to produce a universe like ours with complex life? Also if the multiverse is to believed then the need to include the repetition is in nesseray as there would be an infinite amount of timelines
Also I presume time kind of would be infinite as the most held believe for the end of the universe is heat death, I guess all possibilitys at this point would drop to zero anyway

According to string theory and the holographic principle, it's possible that matter/information is located on the cosmological horizon, which describes the interior. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in, this is a very interesting topic.

Thread locked for moderation.

This thread will stay locked. @benjamin1889: Please try to learn the actual science before you start wild speculations. These speculations don't help, they just lead to all sorts of misconceptions.

1. What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in space and time where the laws of physics break down and traditional mathematical models no longer apply.

2. Are we currently within a singularity?

It is currently unknown if we are within a singularity. Some theories, such as the Big Bang theory, suggest that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. However, there is no conclusive evidence to support this idea.

3. How would we know if we are in a singularity?

There are several characteristics that scientists look for to determine if we are within a singularity. These include extreme density, infinite temperature, and a breakdown of the laws of physics.

4. Could we escape a singularity?

It is currently unknown if it is possible to escape a singularity. The extreme conditions within a singularity make it difficult to gather evidence or conduct experiments to test this idea.

5. Is there a way to prove or disprove the existence of a singularity?

Scientists are constantly studying and researching to better understand the universe and its origins. While there is currently no definitive answer to the existence of a singularity, advancements in technology and theoretical models may one day provide us with more insight into this question.