Do trapezium angles have to equal 360 degrees?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a four-sided figure with specific measurements and a slightly curved line. The speaker is trying to determine the angles of the figure, but is unsure due to conflicting information from professionals. They mention a diagram and ask for help in calculating the angles. The conversation also touches on the concept of quadrilaterals and their angles adding up to 360 degrees. Finally, the speaker mentions a possible solution involving surveying techniques and a sextant.
vmgk
The four sided, a=110.50 ft, b=165.27, c=162.18, and d=a slightly curved line of 146. ft--
(from point to point, it still seems to be 146 feet,) anyway---This from a land survey---I believe the distances of width, center point and (height) can "prove" by the angles. The people I have been talking to claim it is a parallelogram. (professionals) and told me the corners have to add to 360 degrees---I will post an image. I am confused by the math of the people I have been speaking with.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always draw a line to turn a four sided figure into 2 triangles.
Since triangle's (on a flat plane) internal angles add to 180 and you have two of them - it must add to 360deg.

I only know one angle. The angle of the 110.50 ft and the 165.27 feet, is stated to be
121 degrees 11-----I tried to measure the lines on the survey to get the other angles--
they appear to be, between the 165.27 ft and 162.18 ft -- 59 1/2 ----then between the 162.18 and the 146 ft., the angle of 102 1/2 then between the 146 ft and the 110.50 seems to be 76 1/2.--or if measured on the arc-not point to point, 78 1/2---I am still trying to locate this diagram file.

attached a mini map shape----I am new here, hope it attaches to this post---I would like to be able to calc the angles from the distances shown, however, I seem to be
blocked on this.

Attachments

• minimap.png
    minimap.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:
What are actually trying to work out?

ps if the two horizontal lines are parallel you are ok, otherwise you don't have enough information to calculate the area or angles. Picture it as four rods hinged at the ends, you can push them ito different shapes without changing the lenghts.

Last edited:
Calculate the angles and from a centerpoint in the parallel line area of the diagram, draw a parallel line grid, (measured approx. 143 3/4 feet across) and then find the centerpoint distance from top to bottom. Then prove the distances from all sides and angles-like a line star.--My surveyor had asked me this question about the angles have to add up to 360 degrees, and I said yes-but I think I was wrong, including the curve, the angle total would have to be a couple of degrees more

The four angles of any quadrilateral, i.e., 4-sided figures with straight line segments as sides, will add up to 360.

However, your shape is concave-out along one side -- Hill-something-or-other-- so the angles will add up to something slightly larger than 360. I'm afraid that the only way to determine the actual angles along that side, is by straightforward surveying techniques. Do you have a sextant handy?

Related to Do trapezium angles have to equal 360 degrees?

1. Do all trapeziums have angles that add up to 360 degrees?

Yes, all trapeziums have angles that add up to 360 degrees. This is because a trapezium is a quadrilateral with two parallel sides and two non-parallel sides. The sum of all angles in a quadrilateral is always 360 degrees.

2. Is it possible for a trapezium to have angles that do not add up to 360 degrees?

No, it is not possible for a trapezium to have angles that do not add up to 360 degrees. As mentioned before, the sum of all angles in a quadrilateral is always 360 degrees. Since a trapezium is a type of quadrilateral, this rule applies to it as well.

3. Can a trapezium have two right angles?

Yes, a trapezium can have two right angles. This is because there are no restrictions on the size of the angles in a trapezium, as long as the two parallel sides are still parallel. Therefore, a trapezium can have two right angles, two acute angles, or two obtuse angles.

4. How do you find the missing angle in a trapezium?

To find the missing angle in a trapezium, you can use the fact that the sum of all angles in a quadrilateral is 360 degrees. So, you can subtract the known angles from 360 to find the missing angle. Alternatively, if you know the length of the parallel sides and the length of the non-parallel sides, you can use trigonometric functions to find the missing angle.

5. Are the angles in a trapezium always equal?

No, the angles in a trapezium are not always equal. Only the opposite angles (those that are not adjacent to each other) are equal. The two parallel sides of a trapezium create two pairs of opposite angles that are equal, but the non-parallel sides can have different angles. Therefore, in general, the angles in a trapezium are not equal.