Do the Krebs cycle and electron transport chain require ATP?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not certain biological processes, such as the electron transport chain, are intrinsically spontaneous. It is determined that while the electron transport chain itself is spontaneous, it requires the consumption of other substances, such as NADH, which are produced through non-spontaneous processes.
fangrz
I cannot find a website that answers this question, and all diagrams I see do not show that ATP is used. Does this mean that these processes are intrinsically spontaneous? I can see how the electron transport chain is spontaneous, as the oxidation of oxygen to water is favorable (E 1/2=0.7V).

Biology news on Phys.org
fangrz said:
I cannot find a website that answers this question, and all diagrams I see do not show that ATP is used. Does this mean that these processes are intrinsically spontaneous? I can see how the electron transport chain is spontaneous, as the oxidation of oxygen to water is favorable (E 1/2=0.7V).

The electron transport chain *produces* ATP, it does not consume ATP. It is spontaneous in the sense that H moves along the pH gradient (the membrane potential) to provide the energy, but creating the membrane potential requires consumption of NADH, produced by the Krebs cycle, which consumes sugar (pyruvate) as the energy source.

Likes fangrz and jim mcnamara
Andy Resnick said:
The electron transport chain *produces* ATP, it does not consume ATP. It is spontaneous in the sense that H moves along the pH gradient (the membrane potential) to provide the energy, but creating the membrane potential requires consumption of NADH, produced by the Krebs cycle, which consumes sugar (pyruvate) as the energy source.
Thank you!

Related to Do the Krebs cycle and electron transport chain require ATP?

1. What is the Krebs cycle?

The Krebs cycle, also known as the citric acid cycle, is a series of biochemical reactions that take place in the mitochondria of cells. It is a crucial part of cellular respiration, which is the process by which cells produce energy in the form of ATP.

2. What is the electron transport chain?

The electron transport chain is a series of reactions that occurs in the inner membrane of the mitochondria. It is the final stage of cellular respiration and is responsible for producing the majority of ATP molecules.

3. Does the Krebs cycle require ATP?

No, the Krebs cycle does not require ATP as an input. However, it does produce a small amount of ATP as a byproduct of the reactions.

4. Does the electron transport chain require ATP?

Yes, the electron transport chain requires ATP as an input to function. ATP is used to power the transport of electrons through the chain, ultimately leading to the production of more ATP.

5. What is the relationship between the Krebs cycle, electron transport chain, and ATP?

The Krebs cycle and electron transport chain work together to produce ATP, the main source of energy for cellular processes. The Krebs cycle produces a small amount of ATP, while the electron transport chain produces the majority of ATP. Both processes are essential for efficient energy production in cells.