Do some geologists actually act a lot like Randy Marsh?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Act Yale
In summary, the conversation discusses the humor and laid back nature of geologists at a Yale Geology & Geophysics open house. The speaker also shares their personal experience with geologists and lava in Hawaii, including using ladels to scoop up the lava. They also mention the lack of a stick due to it burning up.
Simfish
Gold Member
Or in other words, are a lot of geologists pretty crazy and funny at the same time?

I'm getting this sense just by looking at the presentations of the geologists at the Yale Geology & Geophysics open house. It makes me wish that people in other fields had the same sense of humor that geologists have - haha.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Simfish said:
Or in other words, are a lot of geologists pretty crazy and funny at the same time? ...

hey I resemble that remark hahaha

crazy ?? me crazy ? naaaa surely not...

attachment.php?attachmentid=43800&stc=1&d=1329019801.jpg

I found when I was doing my geology degree that people in that field were reasonably laid back.

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• IMGP2525_hfa.jpg
    IMGP2525_hfa.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 911
OMG. Look at those clouds behind you! Oh look, lava. Where are you at in the picture anyways?

lol you nutter hahaha

those "clouds" is the steam and fumes coming up from the lava going into the ocean
that was my trip to Hawaii then on to the mainland USA in 1999

One of the best experiences of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
whoah, I thought lava was super hot? How close are you to that stuff?

ha! Can't you see the sweat dripping from his big 'ol beard!

SHISHKABOB said:
whoah, I thought lava was super hot? How close are you to that stuff?

it is super hot 1000C or so, I was right beside it, my friends and I were even using sopup ladels etc to scoup up the lava, very difficult ... like very thick treakle (molassus)

Dave

Where was your stick? Any self respecting geol undergrad would have been poking it with a stick :smile:

Sweet picture!

geologeek said:
Where was your stick? Any self respecting geol undergrad would have been poking it with a stick :smile:

Sweet picture!

hahaha ... it burnt up :(

Dave

Related to Do some geologists actually act a lot like Randy Marsh?

What is the basis for the comparison between geologists and Randy Marsh?

The comparison between geologists and Randy Marsh, a character from the TV show South Park, is based on the portrayal of geologists as eccentric and passionate about their work, often going to extreme lengths to prove their theories.

Is the comparison meant to be taken seriously?

No, the comparison between geologists and Randy Marsh is meant to be humorous and satirical. It is not meant to be an accurate representation of all geologists.

Are geologists offended by this comparison?

Most geologists are not offended by this comparison and often find it amusing. However, as with any stereotype, there may be some individuals who do not appreciate being lumped together with a fictional character.

Do geologists actually act like Randy Marsh in their work?

While there may be some geologists who exhibit similar behaviors to Randy Marsh, it is not a common or expected behavior in the scientific community. Geologists are trained professionals who follow rigorous methods and protocols in their research.

What are some examples of geologists acting like Randy Marsh?

Examples of geologists acting like Randy Marsh may include making bold and unconventional claims about their research, going on expeditions to remote and dangerous locations, or getting overly excited about a particular rock or fossil. However, these instances are not representative of all geologists and should not be taken as such.