Do Plate Materials Affect Capacitor Performance?

In summary, the conductive material will not effect capacitance so long as each conductor enforces an equipotential condition across its surface.
Aladdin123
Hi
I was wondering about an issue i thought about while attending a masters thesis dissertation earlier

does the material of the plate (not the filling dielectric) affect capacitance (even if in the fringing level) ?
Check the attached picture , for a better explanation
attachment.php?attachmentid=49392&stc=1&d=1343490172.jpg

Attachments

• Do these have the EXACT same capacitance.jpg
    Do these have the EXACT same capacitance.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 508
Engineering news on Phys.org
The conductive material will not effect capacitance so long as:

1 - Each conductor enforces an equipotential condition across its surface.

2 - The conductive material is well behaved in the presense of the required E-field.

A violation of (1) would be a capacitor with 1 square foot plate used for 1GHz signal.

A violation of (2) would be very high surface charge density, say from combination of high voltage and sharp edge on conductor, causing corona discharge.

But isn't aluminum a "better conductor" ?
isnt having a higher conductivity something that will upset the electric field distribution, since more charges will accumulate on the metal than on the silicon ?

"Better conductor" only matters if current is flowing through the conductor.

Capacitance is an electrostatic quantity. Charges are not in motion; they have arrived at their equilibrium positions which, in turn, creates the E field distribution that leads to the measured voltage between plates.

If your frequency is low enough that the charges are able to be, at any frozen moment in time, close to their electrostatic equilibrium positions, then the capacitance will be correspondingly close to the electrostatic capacitance ("quasi-static" approximation).

If your frequency is high enough that the charges are not able to keep up and reach their electrostatic equilibrium positions, then you no longer have equipotential surfaces.

Perhaps what you are saying is that we can extend the quasi-static approximation to higher frequencies in a given geometry if we use better conductors. This is true, but only to a certain extent. Part of the issue is finite propagation velocity. If I had a parallel plate capacitor made with superconducting plates 1 square foot in area, I would not expect to have equipotential surfaces at 1GHz.

Check out the free field solvers available at: http://www.fastfieldsolvers.com. or http://www.rle.mit.edu/cpg/research_codes.htm.

Last edited:
So for micrometer level dimensions , running at the KHz speed :
The only issue I will see is a "series" resistance with the silicon part that is about 0.5 ohms ( Aluminum has resistivity 28.2 nΩ·m, while silicon 1KΩ·m) more than that of the aluminum part which will mean each part will behave as a low pass filter , with cutoff frequencies in the THz (RC=0.5*C , and Cap is ~ 10^-11 ) , so ... no difference at running in the KHz
BTW my calculations are just rough estimates

Am I right ?

Related to Do Plate Materials Affect Capacitor Performance?

What are plate materials in capacitors?

Plate materials in capacitors are the conductive materials that make up the two plates (or electrodes) of a capacitor. These plates are separated by a dielectric material and are responsible for storing electrical charge.

What are the common types of plate materials used in capacitors?

The common types of plate materials used in capacitors are aluminum, tantalum, and ceramic. Aluminum is the most widely used due to its low cost and good conductivity. Tantalum is used for high-performance capacitors and is known for its stability and reliability. Ceramic materials are also commonly used for their high dielectric strength and low cost.

What factors should be considered when selecting plate materials for capacitors?

When selecting plate materials for capacitors, factors such as cost, conductivity, stability, and dielectric strength should be considered. The application and intended use of the capacitor also play a role in determining the appropriate plate material.

How does the choice of plate materials affect the performance of a capacitor?

The choice of plate materials can affect the performance of a capacitor in terms of its capacitance, voltage rating, and frequency response. Different plate materials have different electrical properties, which can impact the overall performance of the capacitor.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using certain plate materials in capacitors?

Yes, there can be limitations or drawbacks to using certain plate materials in capacitors. For example, aluminum capacitors may have higher leakage currents compared to other materials, and tantalum capacitors may be more expensive. It is important to consider these limitations when selecting plate materials for capacitors.