Do Mirrors in Quantum Experiments Act as Measurement Devices?

In summary: In the case of the mirror, the effect on the mirror is so small (since photons are so tiny) that it would seem reasonable to consider it "microscopic" and hence a measurement...In summary, the conversation discusses the interference type of setups used in quantum erasers and the role of mirrors in these experiments. It is questioned whether mirrors act as measurement devices, and it is argued that for a mirror to "know" if a photon was reflected, it must be in a different final state. The concept of measurement is also discussed, with the distinction being made between interference and non-interference being a yes/no issue, but the possibility of partial loss of interference due to partial loss of information in the interaction with a measuring device is also
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Considering (again!) which way type of experiments (the interference type of set ups when a photon may go through two different routes and then one recombines the paths and checks for the presence of absence of interference (as used in quantum erasers, etc)).

Usually, people say that if there is no way to detect the path taken by the photon, there will be interference.
But I am bothered by the mirrors in the experiment. Don't they act as some kind of measurement device? (even if we do not use them to detect the path of the photons)??
I mean, doesn't the mirror (one of them at least) ''knows'' whether the photon was reflected off from it?? I know this sounds silly, but it seems that for the photon to be reflected, it must interact with the atoms in the mirror, and that would seem to represent a type of microscopic measurement. Even if the mirror is perfect.

Pushing the argument further, what distinguished what we usually consider a measurement from what the mirror does by reflecting the photon (or not reflecting it...I am not sure what to think!)?
I mean, at waht point do we consider the interaction of the photon with a system a ''measurement'' which will lead to the lost of the interference pattern? There is something maybe about the irreversibility of the interaction with a measuring instrument that makes this qualititatively different from the interaction with the mirror...It is puzzling to me (but may be obvious to other people here).

Also, usually the distinction between interference vs non interference seems to be a yes/no issue... a ''digital'' question.
But can there be situations where the lost of interference is only partial? maybe 80% of the photons show no interference effects whereas the other 20% do... This would be possible if the intreaction with a measuring device would lead to a partial lost of information...

I know that this is very vague...But I hope someone(s) will help clarify or focus the discussion.
Thanks

Pat

Physics news on Phys.org
nrqed said:
But I am bothered by the mirrors in the experiment. Don't they act as some kind of measurement device? (even if we do not use them to detect the path of the photons)??
I mean, doesn't the mirror (one of them at least) ''knows'' whether the photon was reflected off from it??

For the mirror to "know" whether the photon reflected or not, it must be in a different final state after reflection than when no reflection occured, and this is not the case. If there is such a thing as sufficient momentum transfer (for instance) that the mirror is in a macroscopically different state (hence in a quantum - mechanically orthogonal state), then the interference will disappear (classically explained by the total uncertainty of the position of the mirror over one wavelength). But if there is so little transfer as to have the quantum state of the mirror before and after the reflection to be essentially in total overlap, then this will mostly not influence the interference pattern.

I know this sounds silly, but it seems that for the photon to be reflected, it must interact with the atoms in the mirror, and that would seem to represent a type of microscopic measurement. Even if the mirror is perfect.

It's one of the problems (I find) with copenhagen kind of views. If you give a quantum state to the mirror, you could see it as follows:

(|photon> + |nophoton>)|mirrorbefore>

during interaction

|photon>|bendmirror>+ |nophoton>|mirrorbefore>

after reflection

|reflectedphoton>|mirrorbefore> + |nophoton>|mirrorbefore>
= (|reflectedphoton> + |nophoton>) |mirrorbefore>

(as a naive presentation of course: the "time during interaction" is to be taken symbolically).

The point is that if the quantum state of the mirror after reflection is the same (or almost the same) as the quantum state before (or without photon), then the mirror doesn't KNOW about whether it reflected the photon: it forgot about it perfectly.

Pushing the argument further, what distinguished what we usually consider a measurement from what the mirror does by reflecting the photon (or not reflecting it...I am not sure what to think!)?
I mean, at waht point do we consider the interaction of the photon with a system a ''measurement'' which will lead to the lost of the interference pattern? There is something maybe about the irreversibility of the interaction with a measuring instrument that makes this qualititatively different from the interaction with the mirror...It is puzzling to me (but may be obvious to other people here).

Well, the concept of measurement IS confusing of course in Copenhagen (that's why I don't like it). But the essential difference is that after a measurement, "things" are left in a different state according to the outcome of measurement (the apparatus, the environment, the guy looking ...).

Also, usually the distinction between interference vs non interference seems to be a yes/no issue... a ''digital'' question.
But can there be situations where the lost of interference is only partial? maybe 80% of the photons show no interference effects whereas the other 20% do... This would be possible if the intreaction with a measuring device would lead to a partial lost of information...

Of course! That, you have when the (quantum) state of the mirror after interaction is not orthogonal, but is not identical either with the state without interaction. If it is orthogonal, then you have perfect entanglement and hence no interference. If it is identical, you have "full" interference. If it is in between (some angle, but not orthogonal), you have diminished the IP.

cheers,
patrick.

vanesch said:
For the mirror to "know" whether the photon reflected or not, it must be in a different final state after reflection than when no reflection occured, and this is not the case. If there is such a thing as sufficient momentum transfer (for instance) that the mirror is in a macroscopically different state (hence in a quantum - mechanically orthogonal state),

Thanks for replying...I know it's very basic but is the kind of thing that I never took the time to really think about.

Part of my problem is that I am not sure about the boundary between "macroscopic" and "microscopic" here.
Presumably, if the photon was reflected by the mirror, it has (presumably) transferred momentum to at least one atom. Even if we do not observe the atom. Now, maybe there is some overlap between the new wavefunction of the atom and its old wavefunction, and that may be the whole point (that, if there is some overlap, there there is some "chance" that the mirror does not "know" if the photon was there). But then it would seem that interference could never be completely "saved". There would always be partial destruction of the interference pattern.

I am probably completely in the left field...

then the interference will disappear (classically explained by the total uncertainty of the position of the mirror over one wavelength). But if there is so little transfer as to have the quantum state of the mirror before and after the reflection to be essentially in total overlap, then this will mostly not influence the interference pattern.

But the amound of momentum transfer is dictated by conservation of momentum, no?

I know I will be slapping my head once I finally understand :rolleyes:
Meanwhile, thansk for your patience.

Pat

nrqed said:
Part of my problem is that I am not sure about the boundary between "macroscopic" and "microscopic" here.

That's why I personally prefer not to make such a distinction, and consider everything on the same level (MWI view). But it shouldn't matter too much.

Presumably, if the photon was reflected by the mirror, it has (presumably) transferred momentum to at least one atom.

No, I don't think so (at least if it was to be reflected coherently). It should be reflected by the "entire sea of electrons" of the mirror who are to act as one entity.

Even if we do not observe the atom. Now, maybe there is some overlap between the new wavefunction of the atom and its old wavefunction, and that may be the whole point (that, if there is some overlap, there there is some "chance" that the mirror does not "know" if the photon was there). But then it would seem that interference could never be completely "saved". There would always be partial destruction of the interference pattern.

That's indeed what would happen if there were an interaction with a single atom, and the reason why that cannot be the case!

Related to Do Mirrors in Quantum Experiments Act as Measurement Devices?

1. Is the moon still there when no one is looking at it?

Yes, the moon is still there even when no one is looking at it. Its existence is not dependent on human observation.

2. How do we know that the moon is there if we can't see it?

Scientists use various methods to study and observe the moon, such as telescopes, satellites, and spacecraft. These methods allow us to gather information and evidence about the moon's presence and characteristics.

3. Can the moon disappear or move if we don't look at it for a long time?

No, the moon cannot disappear or move just because we are not looking at it. Its orbit around the Earth is constant and predictable.

4. Does the moon only exist in our perception of it?

No, the moon exists in reality regardless of our perception of it. Our perception may change or influence our understanding of the moon, but it does not determine its existence.

5. Why do we sometimes see different shapes of the moon if it's always there?

The different shapes of the moon, also known as phases, are caused by the relative positions of the moon, Earth, and sun. As the moon orbits around the Earth, different portions of its surface are illuminated by the sun, creating the different phases that we see from Earth.