Do I stand a chance at becoming a math Ph.D. student?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's concerns and doubts regarding their ability to get into a good graduate program in math. They are currently pursuing a BS in Math and Computer Science at a mediocre school and are worried that their coursework is not challenging enough. They are considering studying on their own and getting involved in research to improve their chances. Other participants in the conversation offer their own experiences and advice, such as reading multiple books to master a subject and not worrying about their GPA. The conversation ends with the suggestion that the speaker focus on doing well in important courses and possibly doing summer research to improve their chances of getting into a good graduate program.
vcxp
I'm interested in the idea of getting a Ph.D. in math. I'm currently pursuing a BS at a mediocre school in Math and Computer Science. My tentative mathematics plan is Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Number Theory, Elementary Topology I-II, Elementary Modern Algebra I-II and "Advanced Calculus" I-II. (currently finishing up the calculus sequence; I'm halfway through sophomore year).

I'm really afraid that I'm not going to be competitive enough to enter any sort of decent graduate program; I don't feel that any of the material is challenging in the slightest, and I still don't understand how to study for courses that are this awful (I bombed Calc II because of this). The Calculus sequence is taught out of Stewart, Linear Algebra out of Lay, etc. I don't see how the hell I'm going to compete with people who've studied out of stuff like "Little Rudin" as an undergraduate for any decent graduate program.

The obvious answer is to "study on my own", which I've been doing. But I have this ridiculous feeling that everything important that I'm doing is in spite of my educational institution, not because of it. At what point does it just become discouraging to realize that your school isn't helping you at all? I have no problem with being an autodidact, but sometimes it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when all of your classmates are equation-dumping engineers and your teachers are content with assigning "monkey see, monkey do" homework problems. "Alright, I get it! I know how to compute a triple integral, can we learn some theory now? No? Then you're wasting my time."

What should I do? Should I try to get involved in research, keep studying on my own and pray a graduate admissions committee takes pity on me? Should I just finish my Bachelors, give up on academia and relegate math to a personal hobby? I really don't know. I haven't attempted to contact anyone in the math department, in part because I have no idea who to talk to. I have an "advisor" whom I'm pretty sure doesn't exist, and the next best thing from there is to try a professor who likes me, which I guess is what I'll end up doing.

One took a liking to me when I was caught explaining something to a classmate in Calc I, and made sure to ask my TA what my major was/who I was. My TA then told this professor that one of my homework solutions that I spent too much time on was actually a Real Analysis proof (although given the circumstances I think this claim is dubious at best). This professor never followed up, but I have them for a course next semester (a joint CS/Math course), so maybe if I prove myself they'd be willing to help me. Is this sort of thing normal?

As I'm writing this, I'm getting the feeling that this is mostly something that needs to be discussed with a member of my school's faculty. However, I would like to hear some outside opinions, and maybe a few "Been there, done that, turned out okay"-type messages, if they exist. (:

Physics news on Phys.org
Not having been through college you may feel free to slap me around for this, but can I suggest: transfer next year?

(My post is about physics I couldn't imagine things being that different in Math though you could check the less populated Math GRE forum)

This is a very encouraging thread almost everybody (regardless of their school) who managed a decent GPA and GRE score wound up in a reasonable phd program: http://http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1847" . Not everyone got into Princeton but a suprising number of people did. Relax and focus on doing the best with what's availible to you, try to start doing research with a professor. Take a deep breathe, you are only a sophmore if you work hard it will be alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey vcxp, don't worry about it.

I was in pretty much the same situation as you were and it worked out for me (however, I live in a different country then you, so I don't know your situation). However, it will be necessairy to work a bit in your on time. The best way of doing this is getting 2-3 books of a subject and reading them simultaneously. If you don't know which books are good, you can always ask us! If you've worked through all the books, then I should say you mastered the subject. And when you mastered the subject, nobody can stop you from doing anything.

And something else: rudin sucks. Really, I would never recommend anybody learning the material from rudin. It gives no conceptual explanation at all, and sometimes his proofs are far to ugly.

lompocus said:
Not having been through college you may feel free to slap me around for this, but can I suggest: transfer next year?

My GPA is far too low to transfer anywhere decent (it's skating at a 3.0 right now).

deluks917 said:
(My post is about physics I couldn't imagine things being that different in Math though you could check the less populated Math GRE forum)

This is a very encouraging thread almost everybody (regardless of their school) who managed a decent GPA and GRE score wound up in a reasonable phd program: http://http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1847" . Not everyone got into Princeton but a suprising number of people did. Relax and focus on doing the best with what's availible to you, try to start doing research with a professor. Take a deep breathe, you are only a sophmore if you work hard it will be alright.

FYI, your link is broken.

After reading that thread, I've concluded that if I get my GPA up by doing well in the classes that actually matter, and possibly doing some summer research, that I might stand a fighting chance.

micromass said:
Hey vcxp, don't worry about it.

I was in pretty much the same situation as you were and it worked out for me (however, I live in a different country then you, so I don't know your situation). However, it will be necessairy to work a bit in your on time. The best way of doing this is getting 2-3 books of a subject and reading them simultaneously. If you don't know which books are good, you can always ask us! If you've worked through all the books, then I should say you mastered the subject. And when you mastered the subject, nobody can stop you from doing anything.

And something else: rudin sucks. Really, I would never recommend anybody learning the material from rudin. It gives no conceptual explanation at all, and sometimes his proofs are far to ugly.

I've been working on my own time, and I'm starting to take my self-studying a lot more seriously. I've been following http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm" as a very rough guide for what books to study.

As for Rudin, I've heard both sides of the debate. Ignoring the specifics of that book, my general point was that the books we use here are written for drooling imbeciles. But as you said, there's always self-study.

I was just going to let this thread die, but after a few helpful responses it felt rude not to say something.

vcxp said:
I'm interested in the idea of getting a Ph.D. in math. I'm currently pursuing a BS at a mediocre school in Math and Computer Science. My tentative mathematics plan is Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Number Theory, Elementary Topology I-II, Elementary Modern Algebra I-II and "Advanced Calculus" I-II. (currently finishing up the calculus sequence; I'm halfway through sophomore year).

I'm really afraid that I'm not going to be competitive enough to enter any sort of decent graduate program; I don't feel that any of the material is challenging in the slightest, and I still don't understand how to study for courses that are this awful (I bombed Calc II because of this). The Calculus sequence is taught out of Stewart, Linear Algebra out of Lay, etc. I don't see how the hell I'm going to compete with people who've studied out of stuff like "Little Rudin" as an undergraduate for any decent graduate program.

The obvious answer is to "study on my own", which I've been doing. But I have this ridiculous feeling that everything important that I'm doing is in spite of my educational institution, not because of it. At what point does it just become discouraging to realize that your school isn't helping you at all? I have no problem with being an autodidact, but sometimes it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when all of your classmates are equation-dumping engineers and your teachers are content with assigning "monkey see, monkey do" homework problems. "Alright, I get it! I know how to compute a triple integral, can we learn some theory now? No? Then you're wasting my time."

What should I do? Should I try to get involved in research, keep studying on my own and pray a graduate admissions committee takes pity on me? Should I just finish my Bachelors, give up on academia and relegate math to a personal hobby? I really don't know. I haven't attempted to contact anyone in the math department, in part because I have no idea who to talk to. I have an "advisor" whom I'm pretty sure doesn't exist, and the next best thing from there is to try a professor who likes me, which I guess is what I'll end up doing.

One took a liking to me when I was caught explaining something to a classmate in Calc I, and made sure to ask my TA what my major was/who I was. My TA then told this professor that one of my homework solutions that I spent too much time on was actually a Real Analysis proof (although given the circumstances I think this claim is dubious at best). This professor never followed up, but I have them for a course next semester (a joint CS/Math course), so maybe if I prove myself they'd be willing to help me. Is this sort of thing normal?

As I'm writing this, I'm getting the feeling that this is mostly something that needs to be discussed with a member of my school's faculty. However, I would like to hear some outside opinions, and maybe a few "Been there, done that, turned out okay"-type messages, if they exist. (:

Hey there. I'm just curious if you have done any kind of research whether its supervised by someone with experience (like a professor) or whether its unsupervised like say a project or an uncredited inquisition into some particular subject.

The reason I ask is that research is not the same as coursework. Sorry if this sounds condescending (I honestly don't mean it to be) but yeah it takes a certain skill-set and mindset to go well in research considering that there are no answers (or maybe only partial ones) for what you are trying to solve, so stumbling around running into brick walls and feeling somewhat overpowered is a normal experience when doing research.

If you are the type that is used to facing brick walls and deal with that in a positive way and use curiosity and tenacity to your advantage, then I think from those attributes that if you can demonstrate that then you will improve your odds of getting in a research program and seeing it through to your defense of the thesis.

chiro said:
Hey there. I'm just curious if you have done any kind of research whether its supervised by someone with experience (like a professor) or whether its unsupervised like say a project or an uncredited inquisition into some particular subject.

The reason I ask is that research is not the same as coursework. Sorry if this sounds condescending (I honestly don't mean it to be) but yeah it takes a certain skill-set and mindset to go well in research considering that there are no answers (or maybe only partial ones) for what you are trying to solve, so stumbling around running into brick walls and feeling somewhat overpowered is a normal experience when doing research.

If you are the type that is used to facing brick walls and deal with that in a positive way and use curiosity and tenacity to your advantage, then I think from those attributes that if you can demonstrate that then you will improve your odds of getting in a research program and seeing it through to your defense of the thesis.

I know that research isn't the same as taking a course. I'm applying for at least one REU for this coming summer.

Related to Do I stand a chance at becoming a math Ph.D. student?

1. Can I become a math Ph.D. student if I did not major in math as an undergraduate?

While it is not a requirement to have a math undergraduate degree, it is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in math before pursuing a Ph.D. in the subject. You may need to take additional courses or demonstrate your proficiency in math through other means, such as taking the GRE subject test in mathematics.

2. What are the necessary qualifications for a math Ph.D. program?

The specific qualifications may vary depending on the program, but generally, you will need to have a strong academic background in mathematics, including advanced courses in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. You will also need to have strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills.

3. Is it necessary to have research experience to get into a math Ph.D. program?

While research experience can strengthen your application, it is not always required for admission to a math Ph.D. program. However, having research experience can give you an advantage in the application process and can help you better understand the research aspect of a Ph.D. program.

4. What can I do to improve my chances of getting accepted into a math Ph.D. program?

To increase your chances of acceptance, you should focus on maintaining a high GPA in your math courses, participating in research opportunities, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation from math professors. You can also consider taking advanced math courses and studying for the GRE subject test in mathematics.

5. Is it possible to get funding for a math Ph.D. program?

Many math Ph.D. programs offer funding to their students in the form of teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, or scholarships. These opportunities may cover tuition, provide a stipend, or both. However, funding is often competitive, and it is important to research and apply for opportunities early in the application process.