Do I need to integrate twice for calculating velocity in Kerbal Space Program?

• Thread starter iknowsigularity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses using a specific equation to calculate the maximum velocity of a ship in the game Kerbal Space Program. The equation involves factors such as fuel amount and rate of change of mass. The person is seeking assistance in obtaining the velocity at a given time, and it is suggested to use integration. A linked paper provides one approach for integrating and obtaining the velocity. The person also asks if they need to integrate twice or if it can be done with one integral, and they continue to read the paper for more information.
iknowsigularity
So i was playing Kerbal Space Program and decided i wanted to calculate the maximum velocity of my ship. First, I formed this equation. A(t) = M - dm/dt (t) Where A is the amount of fuel at a given time, M is the total mass of the fuel, Dm/dt is the rate of change of the mass of the fuel, and t is time. As far as experiments in game show this equation works. The problem occurs when i want to calculate the maximum velocity. First i differentiated F = MA and solved for da/dt which gave me -F(dm/dt)/m^2 = da/dt. This gives me the jerk and i believe by multiplying it by t I can get the acceleration at a given time. (-F(dm/dt)/m^2 )(t) = a(t) .
From here I'm stuck. I can conceptualize how to obtain the velocity from this point. I started thinking of summation and that lead me take the integral. So my question is could I get the velocity at a given time by integrating this equation (-F(dm/dt)/m^2 )(t) = a(t)? Not sure if i provided enough information but thanks to anyone who can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
Yes, you need to integrate. One approach is described in the linked paper:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0903/0903.1555.pdf
I actually have one more question. Would I need to integrate twice to go from jerk to acceleration then from acceleration to velocity or could I just take the integral of the equation I posted of acceleration as a function of time. Still reading through paper it might answer this.

Related to Do I need to integrate twice for calculating velocity in Kerbal Space Program?

1. Do I need to integrate?

The answer depends on what you are trying to achieve. Integration is the process of combining different parts or elements to form a whole. It can be useful in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and computer science. If you are trying to solve a problem that requires combining multiple components or data, then integration may be necessary.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration allows us to understand complex systems and relationships between different variables. It can also help us to make predictions and solve problems that may seem impossible to solve without combining different parts. In many scientific fields, integration is essential for progress and advancements.

3. What are some common methods of integration?

There are several methods of integration, including numerical integration, symbolic integration, and integration by parts. Each method has its advantages and is used in different situations. For example, numerical integration is useful for solving problems with complex equations, while symbolic integration is more suitable for simple equations.

4. How can I learn to integrate?

Learning to integrate requires a strong understanding of mathematics, specifically calculus. It is essential to have a good grasp of differentiation before attempting to learn integration. There are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems, to help you learn and improve your integration skills.

5. Can integration be used in real-world applications?

Absolutely! Integration is used in various real-world applications, including engineering, economics, and biology. For example, it is used in designing structures and predicting market trends. In biology, integration can help us understand the relationships between different organisms and ecosystems. Integration is a powerful tool that has many practical applications.