Do I need Spivak/Apostol before analysis?

• Thread starter calculusnerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation discusses the preparation needed for someone to move from computational single and multivariable calculus to analysis. It is mentioned that it depends on the depth of understanding achieved in the MIT course, and that simply watching the videos may not be enough. It is recommended to work through a book like Spivak or Nitecki, even if one already has a good understanding of calculus, as it covers important concepts and helps develop mathematical maturity. However, there is also a suggestion that some sections of the book may be beneficial to skip for those who already have a strong foundation in calculus.
calculusnerd
Hello, I'm currently studying math and want to become a mathematician. So far I know up to computational single variable calculus, i.e. Calculus I and II, but not III. Since I found the school textbooks easy I decided to follow the MIT course for Calculus III, so I have started watching the multivariable calculus videos by Denis Auroux. I want to move onto analysis after multivariable calculus. However, this gets me wondering. Seeing as many people see this (MIT) course as being computational multivariable calculus, would I need to re-study all my calculus using say apostol before moving onto analysis, or could I jump straight from the MIT course to something like Pugh's analysis book? What would I learn from spivak/apostol that I can't learn by jumping straight into analysis after having learned computational single and multivarialbe calculus? I'm good at problem solving (judging by my ability to solve 3 problems from this year's USAMO)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tough call. It really depends on the depth to which you master the material. Watching the videos is a much lower level than working all the assigned problems correctly.

Likes calculusnerd
Dr. Courtney said:
Tough call. It really depends on the depth to which you master the material. Watching the videos is a much lower level than working all the assigned problems correctly.
Hello, thanks for your reply Dr. Courtney. What about someone who completely masters the MIT course and have only previously done school math up to Calc I and II but are quite good at problem solving. Do you think they would be prepared for analysis?

calculusnerd said:
Hello, thanks for your reply Dr. Courtney. What about someone who completely masters the MIT course and have only previously done school math up to Calc I and II but are quite good at problem solving. Do you think they would be prepared for analysis?

Students are seldom as good as Calc III as they think they are. I've taught Calc III, and my experience is that students almost always overestimate their abilities going into exams and are suprised when their mastery proves far below what they thought.

Analysis is hard. Most students who passed by Calc III class with Bs or Cs would not have been ready for analysis. Maybe half the students with As would have been ready. There are a combination of issues, but usually a longer list of course success is needed to be ready for analysis. It's not just about pre-requisite skills, it is about mathematical maturity.

Likes calculusnerd
I think those books look good. I haven't read them, but they look like they cover a lot of the stuff that is important for analysis. You probably don't have to 'work through the entire book' since you already know calculus but i think spivak has sections on like mathematical foundations that you could work through

Last edited:
one said:
I think those books look good. I haven't read them, but they look like they cover a lot of the stuff that is important for analysis. You probably don't have to 'work through the entire book' since you already know calculus but i think spivak has sections on like mathematical foundations that you could work through

I think working through entire Spivak is very beneficial, even if you know calculus already. There are other nice alternatives to Spivak though, such as Nitecki.

I can't comment very specifically about spivak but i remember there being like a hundred pages of preliminaries which covered like induction, set theory etc... I think that these are the neccesary and often unstated prerequisites for analysis. i think that working through the entire book would ideally be helpful, but that seems like it would be more like 'relearning calculus', which may not be necessary if you already have a good understanding of those concepts. Imo what you would miss by going directly from calculus to analysis is experience with fundamental concepts in mathematics and experience solving more abstract problems.

Related to Do I need Spivak/Apostol before analysis?

1. Do I need to study Spivak or Apostol before I start studying analysis?

It depends on your background and the level at which you want to study analysis. Spivak and Apostol are both highly recommended textbooks for a rigorous introduction to analysis, but they may not be necessary for beginners or those looking for a less theoretical approach.

2. Can I skip Spivak or Apostol and go straight to analysis?

While it is possible to skip Spivak or Apostol and go straight to analysis, it is not recommended. These textbooks provide a solid foundation in the fundamental concepts and techniques of analysis, which will make future studies in the subject much easier.

3. Which one should I study first: Spivak or Apostol?

Both textbooks cover similar topics and are equally rigorous, so it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer the writing style of Spivak, while others prefer Apostol. It may be helpful to preview both textbooks and see which one resonates with you more.

4. How long does it take to study Spivak or Apostol?

This varies depending on your level of understanding and the amount of time you dedicate to studying. It could take anywhere from a few months to a year to fully grasp the concepts in these textbooks.

5. Can I use Spivak or Apostol as a reference for later studies in analysis?

Absolutely! Spivak and Apostol are both widely recognized as excellent reference books for analysis. They cover a wide range of topics and provide clear explanations and examples, making them useful for future studies or as a refresher for advanced topics.