Do I need professional qualifications in management accountancy ?

In summary: So, if you want to become a researcher rather than a lecturer, you will still need the professional qualifications in management accountancy.
m1c
** Mods, please read the footnote.

My ambition is to become a university lecturer of math or chemistry. In the next year, I'm going to read for my undergraduate degree. I'm currently on my vacations.

People here who are going to follow engineering or such type of career-oriented degrees tend to spend their vacation on taking courses on management accountancy in the hope that they will benifit from it in salary or rank improvements at where they will work in the future.
But, the exam + tuition fee even for the entry level in such a course is high like $ 1000.

Will someone who is going to become a lecturer benefit from having professional qualifications in management accountancy ? Even in the period of work-and-study where he will have to earn a living ?

$ 1000 is somewhat big for me. I don't want to pile up unwanted (irrelevant) qualifications as it's all money.
I'm currently doing self-studies through out the vacation.

So, do I need to get those type of professional qualifications ?

Thanks in advance !

** Last time I was banned for hyperlinking to a website of an institute. Sorry, It was not my intention to spam. I wanted to give full details of what I'm saying. Please do not ban me again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully you won't be banned continually, I'll make a note.

Does anyone have an idea ?
Please help me.
:)

The problem here is that your question is too specific for your situation, or for the region you are living in. Unless there is someone here who understands or live in the same situation, you will not get much help. Most of us who work as university lecturers in our respective fields do not have to take a course in "management accountancy", whatever that is. In fact, it isn't even on the radar! It is certainly strange, at least for me, to hear anyone taking such courses over a vacation break.

Zz.

Likes 1 person
I can appreciate that in some parts of the world there may be legitimate privacy concerns about revealing details such as which country you're in. However, one has to recognize that there is a trade-off between privacy and the ability to get useful advice about situations whose answers depend on those details.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ZapperZ said:
The problem here is that your question is too specific for your situation, or for the region you are living in. Unless there is someone here who understands or live in the same situation, you will not get much help.

jtbell said:
I can appreciate that in some parts of the world there may be legitimate privacy concerns about revealing details such as which country you're in. However, one has to recognize that there is a trade-off between privacy and the ability to get useful advice about situations whose answers depend on those details.

Well...I will do my PhD in UK or US. I'm considering my time there doing my PhD.

ZapperZ said:
Most of us who work as university lecturers in our respective fields do not have to take a course in "management accountancy", whatever that is. In fact, it isn't even on the radar! It is certainly strange, at least for me, to hear anyone taking such courses over a vacation break.
What if I will become a researcher rather than being a lecturer ? Will those qualifications help me anyway ?
Another bonus question :smile: : Is it common for those in your area who are on career-oriented degrees like Engineering to follow something like management accountancy ? Many claims so (friends,teachers, etc.)

m1c said:
Is it common for those in your area who are on career-oriented degrees like Engineering to follow something like management accountancy ?

In the UK, an engineering degree will probably contain courses called "management studies" or something similar. That will teach you as much about management accountancy as you need to know (which is not much.) You don't need to spend any money on a separate course.

For example, from http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...gengineering/meng-mechanical-engineering.aspx
(Year 1)
Professional Studies
The module covers a number of global and ethical issues relating to engineering .The module introduces many of the key transferrable skills required by engineers (and others) within the context of these issues, including: report writing; literature searching and presentation skills. You’ll spend 2 hours in lectures and 5 hour in seminars each week when studying this module.

(Year 2)
Management Studies 1
This module introduces students to modern management methods relevant to the running of a company. Topics include: Introduction to basic economics; the essential requirements and aims of a business; preparing a business plan; accounting; interpretation of accounts; programme management; the essentials of “lean” manufacture and the management of innovation. You’ll spend 2 hours in lectures each week when studying this module.

(Year 3)
Management Studies 2
On completion of this module you will be able to understand how projects are selected and financially evaluated. You'll be able to construct and monitor the elements of an engineering or business programme and acquire an ability to manage risks and quality issues in the industrial and business context. You'll develop an understanding of the basics of English Law. You’ll spend 2 hours in lectures in tutorials each week when studying this module.

Likes 1 person

Related to Do I need professional qualifications in management accountancy ?

1. What is management accountancy?

Management accountancy is a specialized field of accounting that focuses on providing financial information and analysis to help organizations make strategic business decisions. This includes budgeting, forecasting, cost analysis, and performance evaluation.

2. Do I need professional qualifications to work in management accountancy?

It depends on the specific job and industry. While some employers may not require professional qualifications, having them can greatly enhance your credibility and career opportunities. In addition, many employers prefer candidates with professional qualifications as it shows a commitment to the field and a certain level of expertise.

3. What are some examples of professional qualifications in management accountancy?

Some examples of professional qualifications in management accountancy include the Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA), and Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) certifications. These qualifications typically require a combination of education, exams, and work experience.

4. How do I obtain professional qualifications in management accountancy?

The process for obtaining professional qualifications in management accountancy varies depending on the specific certification. Generally, it involves completing a relevant degree or courses, passing exams, and gaining relevant work experience. It is also important to maintain ongoing professional development to keep your qualifications current.

5. What are the benefits of having professional qualifications in management accountancy?

Holding professional qualifications in management accountancy can enhance your credibility, increase your job opportunities, and potentially lead to higher salaries. It also demonstrates a commitment to the field and a certain level of expertise, which can help you stand out in a competitive job market.