Do I Need a Resistor to Lower Voltage for a Solar Cell Phone Charger?

In summary: T4GGLL_enUS339US339&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=Ia0ZUO6gAtLQ2AXO7In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of a solar powered cell phone charger for a demonstration speech. The speaker is planning to use a solar panel with an output of 6v and 50 mA, but is unsure if a resistor is needed to lower the voltage and if it will affect the charging process. They also inquire about using 4 AA batteries in series and if a resistor is needed for that as well. The response suggests using a
osnarf
I'm planning on making a simple solar powered cell phone charger for a demonstration speech in my gen-ed speech class because it seemed like it would be fun at least. The best solar panel I could find for cheap has an output of 6v and 50 mA. My cell phone charger has an output of 5.0v and 700 mA.

Now my question is do I need to use a resistor to lower the voltage of the solar panel, and if I do I assume the output current will be even lower, and will it even cause the cell phone to say it is charging? I imagine it would take forever but as long as it says its charging that's good enough. I could probably afford another one and hook them up in parallel if you think that would help.

Also, out of curiosity, if you used 4 AA batteries in serial to get 6v, would you need to use a resistor to get it to 5v and, if you did, what would be the output current afterwards?

Thank you for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Using a resistor is tricky because it depends on the resistence of the phone charger circuit
You are probably OK feeding it 6V - but a fixed 5v output regualtor is very easy to use.

Im sure you can find a better solar cell in an electronics store with at least 500 mA.

50mA is really low. If you decide to use the one you're already looking at then just put a diode in series with it to drop the voltage down to about 5.6ish volts and it should work fine.

sir can i see your circuit design...so that i have a reference about solar panel design cicuit for my thesis.

Related to Do I Need a Resistor to Lower Voltage for a Solar Cell Phone Charger?

What is a solar cell phone charger?

A solar cell phone charger is a device that uses solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity, which is then used to charge a cell phone or other electronic devices.

How does a solar cell phone charger work?

A solar cell phone charger works by using photovoltaic cells, also known as solar panels, to convert sunlight into direct current (DC) electricity. This electricity is then stored in a battery or capacitor, and can be used to charge a cell phone or other electronic devices.

What are the benefits of using a solar cell phone charger?

There are several benefits of using a solar cell phone charger, including:

• Environmentally friendly - solar energy is a renewable resource and does not produce harmful emissions
  • Cost-effective - using solar energy can save money on electricity bills
  • Convenient - solar cell phone chargers can be used anywhere there is sunlight, making them ideal for outdoor activities or in areas without access to electricity
  • Portable - most solar cell phone chargers are compact and lightweight, making them easy to carry around

Can a solar cell phone charger work on cloudy days?

Yes, a solar cell phone charger can still work on cloudy days. While direct sunlight is ideal for charging, solar panels can still generate electricity from diffuse or indirect sunlight. However, the charging time may be longer on cloudy days compared to sunny days.

Does a solar cell phone charger work with all types of cell phones?

Most solar cell phone chargers come with multiple charging adaptors, making them compatible with a wide range of cell phone models. However, it is important to check the specifications of the specific charger to ensure compatibility with your cell phone.