Understanding Partial Differentials of a Function

In summary, extracting partial differentials of a function means finding the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, treating the other variables as constants. This can be done using the chain rule for functions of several variables. Notation should be clear to avoid ambiguity. When referring to differentials, the correct notation is df(x,y,z), and when referring to partial derivatives, the correct notation is f'(x,y,z). Both notations result in the same equation.
drag
Science Advisor
Greetings !

I'd appreciate some help in explaining, in general,
what - extracting partial differentials of a function, means.

I'm talking about a function like f(x,y,z).
Does it mean that I need a single solution where
I will have differentials for x,y,z of the func.?
Example:
f'(x,y,z) = ( x^2*y + y^2*z + x*e^(2z) )' =
= (2x*y + e^(2z))x' + (x^2 + 2y*z)y' + (y^2 + 2e^(2z))z'

Also (this is related to physics), if I have unit vectors
of x, y, z in the func. do they stay as they were
or does it entail doing some tricks on them as well
(for Cartesian coordinates - I don't think I should touch'em,
but what about a func. of polar coordinates - discribing the
course of the particle itself).

Thanks ! :smile:

Live long and prosper.

Physics news on Phys.org
There will be three first partials, with respect to x, to y, and to z. Each one of them will be a function (in general) of all three variables. You do the x partial by differentiating as if y and z were just constants. So the partial of x^2(lny)sinz is 2x(lny)sinz, for example, but the partial of that with respect to z is x^2(lny)cosz. Just apply the rules you know, and hold the variables you're not differentiating with respect to constant.

Thanks selfAdjoint ! :smile:

So can I also write a new whole function like I did
in my example or do I have to treat them separately ?

The problem with something like

"f'(x,y,z) = ( x^2*y + y^2*z + x*e^(2z) )' =
= (2x*y + e^(2z))x' + (x^2 + 2y*z)y' + (y^2 + 2e^(2z))z'"

is that then notation is ambiguous. If you are given that x, y, and z are functions of some other variable, say t, then we could write f as a function of t and differentiate that. In that case f' refers to differentiation with respect to t, as do x', y', and z'. That's the chain rule for functions of several variable.

You titled this partial "differentials". You should say "partial derivatives". Differentials are something else entirely.

Given f as you have it, the correct formulation, in terms of differentials, would be:
df(x,y,z) = d( x^2*y + y^2*z + x*e^(2z) ) =
= (2x*y + e^(2z))dx + (x^2 + 2y*z)dy + (y^2 + 2e^(2z))dz

Of course, for any variable t, you could "divide" by dt to get
df/dt(x,y,z) = d( x^2*y + y^2*z + x*e^(2z) )/dt =
= (2x*y + e^(2z))dx/dt + (x^2 + 2y*z)dy/dt + (y^2 + 2e^(2z))dz/dt.

which is exactly the same as
f'(x,y,z) = ( x^2*y + y^2*z + x*e^(2z) )' =
= (2x*y + e^(2z))x' + (x^2 + 2y*z)y' + (y^2 + 2e^(2z))z'

1. What is a partial differential of a function?

A partial differential of a function is a mathematical tool used to measure how a function changes with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. Why are partial differentials important?

Partial differentials are important because they allow us to analyze the behavior of a function in multiple dimensions and understand the relationships between its variables. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics where many real-world problems involve multiple variables.

3. How do you calculate a partial differential?

To calculate a partial differential, we use the partial derivative operator (∂) with respect to the variable we are interested in. This involves treating all other variables as constants and taking the derivative of the function with respect to the chosen variable.

4. What is the difference between a partial differential and a total differential?

A partial differential only considers the change in a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. A total differential, on the other hand, considers the change in a function with respect to all of its variables. In other words, a partial differential is a special case of a total differential.

5. How are partial differentials used in real-world applications?

Partial differentials are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics to model the behavior of complex systems, in economics to analyze supply and demand relationships, and in engineering to optimize designs and solve problems involving multiple variables. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to understand the relationships between different variables in a dataset.