Do I have to break these problems up into component vectors?

In summary, the conversation includes a series of problems involving walking in different directions and forces acting on an object. One problem involves two people pulling on a hot air balloon, while the others involve walking in various directions and forces acting on an object. The solution for the balloon problem would be to add the vector components of the two people's forces to find the net downward force on the balloon. It is unclear what the questions for the other problems are asking, but breaking them up into components may help solve them.
jefgreen
#8: A person walks 60.0 m east, then 80.0 m NW.

#9: A person walks 15 m west, then walks 7.0 m @ 15 degrees South of West.

#10: Two forces act on an object. A 45 N force pushing to the north, and a 70 N force pushing at 20 degrees to the east of north.

#11: Some people go for a walk. They walk 5.4 km at 30 degrees north of east, turn and then walk 6.50x10^3 m to the west.

#12: Some people are in a hot air balloon floating above the ground. The net upward force of the balloon after the force due to gravity is 150 N. Someone is on the ground, pulling the balloon with a 50 N force at a 45 degree angle to the balloon. Someone else is on the other side of the balloon, also pulling at an angle of 45 degrees with a force of 50 N. What will be the result of this resultant force on the balloon?

8-11 I am unsure if I need to break them up into component vectors. I AM NOT ASKING USERS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM, BUT MERELY GIVE SOME DIRECTION AS TO HOW TO SOLVE THE PROBLEMS. Also, I am clueless about 12...

Physics news on Phys.org
bump10char.

For #8-11, will breaking them up into components allow you to solve the problems? If so, do it.

I'll try.

For #12, the tensions in the two ropes form a 90 degree angle, so simply add them vectorally and this will give you the net downward force due to the two people pulling.

As for #8-11... we don't know what the questions are asking...

jefgreen said:
bump
No success with the vector components? Show us your work and we can try to help you out.

Related to Do I have to break these problems up into component vectors?

1. Why do I need to break problems up into component vectors?

Breaking problems up into component vectors is important because it allows you to simplify complex problems and solve them more effectively. Vectors have both magnitude and direction, which makes them useful in representing physical quantities and solving problems involving motion and forces.

2. How do I determine the components of a vector?

To determine the components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The horizontal and vertical components of a vector can be found by using the cosine and sine functions, respectively, with the angle of the vector as the input.

3. Can I break up any problem into component vectors?

Yes, in most cases you can break up any problem into component vectors. This is particularly useful in physics and engineering, where many physical quantities can be represented as vectors. However, it is important to understand the problem and determine if using vectors is the most appropriate approach.

4. Are there any limitations to breaking up problems into component vectors?

While breaking up problems into component vectors can be a useful approach, it may not always be the most efficient or accurate method. In some cases, other mathematical techniques may be more suitable for solving a problem. It is important to consider all possible approaches and choose the one that best fits the problem at hand.

5. Can I use vectors in other fields besides physics and engineering?

Yes, vectors can be used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and economics. They are particularly useful in representing and analyzing directional data, and can be applied to many different types of problems. Understanding how to break up problems into component vectors can be a valuable skill in a wide range of disciplines.