Do gravitational waves propogate slower when blocked by mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational waves being slowed down by massive objects, similar to how light is slowed down by a medium. The effect is extremely small but noticeable, known as the Shapiro delay. It is caused by the curved spacetime geometry and is not a bending of space.
NotJimmy
I'm not sure exactly how to phrase this question, but I was thinking earlier about electromagnetic waves being absorbed by atoms and 'slowing down' the speed of light.

Do gravitational waves propagate slower when blocked by, say, a really massive object? In the same way that light slows down when blocked by a medium like water or gas?

If not, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitational waves are influenced by the spacetime geometry, so in general there is an effect. It is extremely tiny, however.

Is it noticeable at all when you're dealing with very large masses?

Like, let's say I had a 'transmitter' on one side of VY Canis Majoris moving around an object with great mass and generating gravitational waves. On the other side, I had a 'receiver' that filters out all of the noise and detects my transmitter's gravitational waves. How big would the discrepancy be between the speed of those gravitational waves and the speed of light?

What's the actual mechanism that slows down the gravitational waves though? I think I can understand how light waves slow down in a gravitational field, since they get bent on their path (correct me if that's the wrong interpretation), but how does that work with gravitational waves?

I'm just a non-physics student trying to sate my own curiosity, so sorry if I'm mangling some of the theory here.

The Shapiro delay is not a bending in space, it is an effect of (4D-)curved spacetime, the same in both cases.

Related to Do gravitational waves propogate slower when blocked by mass

1. Do gravitational waves really exist?

Yes, gravitational waves were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. They were first directly observed in 2015 by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in the form of ripples in space-time caused by the collision of two black holes.

2. What is the speed of gravitational waves?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravitational waves travel at the speed of light (approximately 299,792,458 meters per second) in a vacuum. This has been confirmed by various experiments and observations.

3. How are gravitational waves affected by mass?

Gravitational waves are not affected by mass in the same way as other waves, such as light or sound. They do not become slower when passing through or being blocked by a massive object. However, their amplitude may decrease due to the absorption of energy by the massive object.

4. Can gravitational waves be blocked or shielded?

Gravitational waves are not like other types of waves that can be blocked or shielded by physical barriers. They can pass through objects without being affected, although their amplitude may decrease as mentioned before. However, scientists are still studying ways to detect and measure gravitational waves more accurately.

5. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using specialized equipment, such as interferometers like LIGO. These instruments measure tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by the passing gravitational wave. Other methods being studied include using pulsars or space-based detectors.