Do Functions with Specific Boundary Conditions Form a Vector Space?

In summary, the sum of two functions is again a function. You need to specify the values of the function.
armis

Homework Statement

"Consider all functions f(x) defined in an interval 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]L. We define scalar multiplication by a simply as af(x) and addition as pointwise addition: the sum of two functions f and g has the value f(x)+g(x) at the point x. The null function is simply zero everywhere and the additive inverse of f is -f.
Do functions that vanish at the end points x=0, x=L form a vector space? How about periodic functions obeying f(0)=f(L)? How about functions that obey f(0)=4? If the functions do not qualify, list the things that go wrong"

Homework Equations

Definition of vector space, features of vector sum and scalar multiplication and some axioms.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a bit confusing to me so I'll be glad if some can clarify this for me.
Some of the properties seem to agree with the definition of vector space (scalar multiplication, null function, the inverse of f) . What I find confusing is the argument x. After the sum of two functions for example I no longer get a new one just because the sum is evaluated at the point x, thus I no longer get an abstract object like a matrix or some sort of vector but I get a number. If on the other hand the sum would be defined through all x that would seem to make more sense as we would get another function.
I don't see a problem with functions vanishing at the ends of the interval, they still might represent a vector space as long as the definition of the sum is changed ( as explained earlier). However, I do think there is a problem with f(0)=4 since we do get a number.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a matter of checking the properties of a vector space. For example, in the first one:
1) Does the null function vanish at the end points?
2) If f and g vanish at the end points, does f + g?
3) If f vanishes at the end points, does af (for a some number)?

CompuChip said:
It's just a matter of checking the properties of a vector space. For example, in the first one:
1) Does the null function vanish at the end points?
2) If f and g vanish at the end points, does f + g?
3) If f vanishes at the end points, does af (for a some number)?

thanks. Yes, this far I understand. But what about my arguments?

The sum of two functions is again a function.
Suppose you have a vector space V of functions on some set D. That is, if f and g are elements of V, then they are both functions on D.
Now we want to "add" these functions and call the result "f + g" (we might as well have written it "s"). Since "f + g" is a function, we need to specify its values, that is: give a prescription. Now we say that the "f + g" is the function, which takes the value f(x) + g(x) in every point x of D.

For example, if [tex]f = (x \mapsto x^2), g = (x \mapsto \sqrt{x})[/tex] then f + g is the function [tex]x \mapsto x^2 + \sqrt{x}[/tex]. If [tex]h = (x \mapsto -x^2)[/tex], then f + h is the null function [tex]0 = (x \mapsto 0)[/tex] (note: the "0" denoting the null function is a function, it assigns the number 0 from the codomain to every x in D).

Oh, this becomes clearer or at least I hope so. But I am still confused about the part where I have to specify the values of the function. I realize that otherwise I won't be able to get the null function but other than that I don't see a problem

I do not know how this fellow also got stuck with the same problem...however,if people are interested,my post may also be referred to...

:) Thanks neelakash. I'll look into it

Related to Do Functions with Specific Boundary Conditions Form a Vector Space?

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by scalars (numbers). The operations of addition and scalar multiplication must follow certain rules for the set to be considered a vector space.

2. What is the importance of functions as a vector space?

Functions as a vector space allow us to apply the concepts of vector spaces to functions, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and physics. It also allows us to use tools and techniques from linear algebra to study and analyze functions in a more systematic way.

3. What are the key properties of a function that make it a vector space?

A function must have the properties of closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and inverse to be considered a vector space. Closure means that the result of an operation on two vectors is also a vector in the space. Associativity and commutativity refer to the order in which operations are performed. Identity and inverse elements ensure that every vector has an opposite and an identity element exists in the space.

4. How can we represent functions in a vector space?

Functions can be represented as vectors in a vector space by using a basis of linearly independent functions. This means that any function in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis functions. The coefficients of the linear combination serve as the coordinates of the function in the vector space.

5. What are some applications of functions as a vector space?

Functions as a vector space have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in signal processing, control theory, and differential equations, among others. In physics, they are used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. In mathematics, they are used to study and analyze functions in a more structured and systematic way.