Do Fresnell equations apply to other waves than EM waves?

In summary, Fresnel equations are based on boundary equations determined by Maxwell's equations and therefore only apply to electromagnetic waves. While other waves, such as sound waves in water, may also experience similar behavior in terms of half wave loss and phase change on reflections, the relationships between impedance, transmittance/reflectance, and incident/reflected/transmitted angles may not be the same or as comprehensive. Therefore, it may be necessary to modify Fresnel equations for use with other types of waves.
DragonPetter
When I read about Fresnel equations, I see that it is based on boundary equations determined by Maxwell's equations. So I would think these equations only apply to EM waves.

But is there a similar behavior in other waves like sound waves in water? Would I want to use or modify Fresnel equations for other waves than EM waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to guess that Fresnell equations is only specific to EM waves because it is using the parallel and perpendicular polarization which I think does not apply to sound waves

DragonPetter said:
When I read about Fresnel equations, I see that it is based on boundary equations determined by Maxwell's equations. So I would think these equations only apply to EM waves.

But is there a similar behavior in other waves like sound waves in water? Would I want to use or modify Fresnel equations for other waves than EM waves?

They only apply to electromagnetic waves.

What does "similar behavior" mean? Half wave loss? Then yes, mechanical waves have half wave loss when reflected on certain conditions too.

netheril96 said:
They only apply to electromagnetic waves.

What does "similar behavior" mean? Half wave loss? Then yes, mechanical waves have half wave loss when reflected on certain conditions too.

Well, by similar behavior, I mean about having a brewster and critical angle, and the same or similar relationships between impedance,transmittance/reflectance, and incident/reflected/transmitted angles.

I am trying to make a ray trace of sound in water, and want to be as comprehensive as possible, so I would like to apply any equations I can.

Also what is half wave loss? Are you referring to phase change on reflections ?

DragonPetter said:
Also what is half wave loss? Are you referring to phase change on reflections ?

Yes. Or maybe half wave loss is not the correct English name?

Related to Do Fresnell equations apply to other waves than EM waves?

1. What are Fresnel equations?

Fresnel equations are mathematical equations that describe the reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves at the interface between two different media. They were first derived by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in the 19th century.

2. Do Fresnel equations only apply to electromagnetic waves?

No, Fresnel equations can also be applied to other types of waves, such as sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves. However, they were originally developed for electromagnetic waves and are most commonly used in that context.

3. How do Fresnel equations differ from other wave equations?

Fresnel equations take into account the different properties of the two media at the interface, such as their refractive indices and impedances. Other wave equations, such as the wave equation for a string, do not consider these factors.

4. Can Fresnel equations be used in all situations?

No, Fresnel equations are based on certain assumptions and conditions, such as the media being linear and isotropic, and the incident wave being plane-polarized. These equations may not accurately describe the behavior of waves in more complex situations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fresnel equations?

Yes, Fresnel equations have limitations in their application. They may not accurately predict the behavior of waves in materials with nonlinear or anisotropic properties. Additionally, they do not take into account the effects of diffraction or absorption at the interface.