Do employers count online 'open-source' classes that are completed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of completing advanced classes on online platforms like Coursera, and whether it would hold weight in an interview or on a CV. The speakers also mention the current shift in education and the importance of presenting these courses in a meaningful way. Ultimately, it is suggested that including these courses on a CV can be beneficial if they are relevant to the job and show personal motivation and interest in a certain area.
scout6686
I was just checking out coursera and some others and noticed there many advanced classes available.

If completed, how much weight would this carry in an interview or generally on a CV? Would this be considered fluff?

Obviously, we are in a transitional period with traditional education and the effects of the internet/open-source philosophy.

I would appreciate any advice since I am confused which route to take!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there is certainly a lot of junk there, too. I am not involved in HR but my feeling is that it doesn't even come close to any kind of university degree, but it could help on your cv if you present it the right way. If you apply at a smart card company, and tell them you did this online course on cryptography, because you were really interested in it but couldn't take a course at your university or old employer, this will give you bonus points, as it shows that you are personally motivated in an area that is important for the company. If you say you did the courses to look good on your cv, or if they are in greek philosophy, or if you say you did them instead of going to college because they were better, then it would not look good.

I would say that if your degree is really irrelevant, like a degree in English or something and all of your relevant expertise was garnered via these open source classes then yeah I would add them on.

Related to Do employers count online 'open-source' classes that are completed?

1. How do employers view online 'open-source' classes compared to traditional classes?

Employers generally view online 'open-source' classes with the same level of credibility as traditional classes. The most important factor for employers is the quality and relevance of the course material, rather than the format in which it was completed.

2. Do employers value specific online 'open-source' classes more than others?

It ultimately depends on the industry and the specific skills the employer is looking for. Some online 'open-source' classes may be more highly regarded in certain fields, while others may not be as relevant. It's important to research the course material and determine if it aligns with your desired career path.

3. How can I prove to employers that I completed an online 'open-source' class?

Most online 'open-source' classes provide a certificate of completion or some form of documentation that can be shared with employers. It's also helpful to include the course on your resume or LinkedIn profile, along with any relevant skills or projects you completed during the course.

4. Are online 'open-source' classes as rigorous as traditional classes?

It depends on the specific course and the instructor. Some online 'open-source' classes may be just as rigorous as traditional classes, while others may have more self-paced or less structured learning formats. It's important to research the course and read reviews from previous students to determine the level of rigor.

5. Can I use online 'open-source' classes to fulfill educational requirements for a job?

It depends on the employer and the specific job requirements. Some employers may accept online 'open-source' classes as equivalent to traditional classes, while others may have specific educational requirements that must be met. It's important to carefully review job requirements and communicate with the employer about any questions or concerns regarding educational requirements.