Do electric fields have their own separate inherent charge?

In summary, the electric field of a charged object does have an energy density, but it does not have its own charge density. This is because the electromagnetic field is uncharged and described by an Abelian gauge theory. In contrast, in non-Abelian gauge theories such as QCD, the gauge bosons do carry charge. This leads to interesting consequences such as confinement, where particles with non-zero color charge cannot exist freely and are instead bound into neutral states. These states include mesons, made up of a quark-anti-quark pair, and baryons, made up of three quarks. Overall, the electric field does not have its own charge density and does not create a secondary electric field.
Herbascious J
I am assuming the answer is NO. I realize that the electric field of any charged object has an energy density, but I was curious to know it that same field has it's own 'charge density' so to speak, and that it would have a small secondary electric field of it's own. This would imply that there would be a cascading series of fields that diminished to zero fairly rapidly, so I don't believe it, but I just wanted to verify that this was in fact, NOT true.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have answered your own question. :smile:

Likes berkeman and Herbascious J
The electromagnetic field is uncharged. The deeper reason for this is that it is described by an Abelian gauge theory. In Non-abelian gauge theories the gauge bosons carry the corresponding charge themselves. An example is Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD), the theory that describes the strong interaction.

This kind of theories has quite surprising consequences. One is that QCD describes confinement, i.e., the fact that no free particles carrying a non-zero color charge have been ever observed. The fundamental building blocks of matter, carrying color charge are the quarks (spin-1/2 particles) and gluons, which are the analoga of photons for the electromagnetic field. Due to the fact that the gluons carry charge, all color charged-particles are "confined" into color-charge neutral bound states, the hadrons. The usual ones consist of a (valence) quark-anti-quark bound state, the socalled mesons, or three (valence) quarks, the baryons (among them protons and neutrons building up all the atomic nuclei making the matter around us).

Likes Herbascious J and weirdoguy
B-level!

Related to Do electric fields have their own separate inherent charge?

1. Do electric fields have a charge?

No, electric fields do not have a charge. Electric fields are created by the presence of charged particles, but they do not possess any inherent charge themselves.

2. How are electric fields created?

Electric fields are created by the presence of charged particles. These particles can be either positive or negative and their movement or accumulation creates an electric field.

3. Do electric fields have a mass?

No, electric fields do not have a mass. They are a property of charged particles and do not have any physical substance or weight.

4. Can electric fields exist without charged particles?

No, electric fields cannot exist without charged particles. They are a result of the movement or accumulation of charged particles and without these particles, there would be no electric field.

5. How can electric fields be measured?

Electric fields can be measured using a device called an electric field meter. This device measures the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point in space.