Do Amine Orbitals Change Shape

In summary, the question is whether the size of the p orbital with a lone pair on the nitrogen atom changes when adding electron donating groups, such as methyl. The answer is that there is likely a change in shape, as the orbital in question is an SP3 orbital, but other factors such as steric and solvation effects usually have a greater impact on the basicity of alkyl amines.
ChiralWaltz

Homework Statement

Does the size of the p orbital with the lone pair change when adding electron donating groups, such as methyl?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the electron availability increases on the nitrogen's lone pair, making it a better base, but I'm wondering if the orbital shape changes. I think the p orbital would increase in size with an electron donating group. Should I be thinking of orbitals in a static sense (unchanging shape) with a particular atom or do the orbitals' shape change depending on the electron withdrawing/donating group?

Let's say I want to attach more methyl groups to the amine, does the nitrogen orbital with the lone pair get even bigger?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is likely a shape change due to the electron donating groups but you should understand that the orbital in question is not a p orbital. It is an SP3 orbital. Also, it is generally not very helpful to focus on the size of the orbital in alkyl amines as other effects like steric and solvation usually dominate the basicity of alkyl amines.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Related to Do Amine Orbitals Change Shape

1. How do amine orbitals change shape?

Amine orbitals can change shape through a process called hybridization, where the atomic orbitals of the constituent atoms mix to form new orbitals.

2. What factors affect the shape of amine orbitals?

The shape of amine orbitals is primarily influenced by the number of electron groups around the central nitrogen atom, which determine the type of hybridization that occurs.

3. Do all amine orbitals have the same shape?

No, the shape of amine orbitals can vary depending on the type of hybridization that occurs. For example, an amine with four electron groups around the central nitrogen atom will have a different shape than one with three electron groups.

4. Can amine orbitals change shape in different chemical environments?

Yes, the shape of amine orbitals can change in different chemical environments due to the presence of different electron groups or the influence of neighboring atoms and molecules.

5. Why is it important to understand the shape of amine orbitals?

Understanding the shape of amine orbitals is important as it helps us predict the reactivity and properties of a molecule. It also allows us to design and synthesize new molecules with specific properties and functions.