DIY bathroom glassblock window caulk vs grout

• Construction
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy Window
In summary, if the width of the joint is less than 8 mm, then sanded grout should be used. If the width of the joint is greater than 8 mm, then silicone caulk can be used.
I have a glass block window in my shower. It's about 25 years old. Because it's in the shower the water directly hits it. Over time the sanded grout is starting to erode. It's not super bad, but it's to the point where I think I should patch it. The question is whether to fill in and cover with clear silicone caulk or patch with fresh sanded grout. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've asked a pro.
It depends on the width of the joint. Above 8 mm it's better to use sand grout, and otherwise silicon could be used. I guess silicon will split too soon on broad joints. In any case it should be dry and free of oil (but that's clear anyway).

Likes Greg Bernhardt
fresh_42 said:
Above 8 mm it's better to use sand grout, and otherwise silicon could be used.
It's a little more than 1/4in. Sounds like silicone could be ok.

Well, the one I've asked is probably a little bit biased towards silicon. But if you close the tube properly, you can keep it for further use.
And for the solution with sand grout you'll have to steal it somewhere, because it makes no sense to buy it - at least if the are sold in the same bulks as here. Only prepare a very wet piece of rag (?) to smooth the joint afterwards.

There are modern types of grout that aren't called "sanded" or "unsanded". I think they have plastic fibers in them. The ordinary type of sanded grout should be sealed after it is installed. You can buy "addtive" to mix it with that makes the grout more durable - and perhaps makes the sealing step unnecessary.

If you're talking about clear silicone general purpose caulk, in places where I've used clear caulk, it gets very nasty looking over time. A shower might be an exception to that rule.

I have used a silicon sealer with sand embedded in it for the tiles on our bathroom floor. It has worked well. Some silicons (not for aquariums) have fungicides to suppress mold.

Silicon can be messy to use. I recently heard (from several aquarium keeping friends) but have not yet tested that you can use plastic grocery bags (or saran wrap) for wipe it up. It is supposed to work well. Normally it would be paper towels.

The stores in my area also have small amounts of grout available in small tubs (like pint or quart {~1-2 liters} sizes), so you might not have to get large amounts.

There are also special dremel bits for removing grout from between tiles.

I've used silicone to seal around a shower and had problems with mould/ mildew. So if I didn't need flexibility I'd stick with mineral grout.

I have heard recently that neutral cure silicone is better than the acid cure silicone that I've used before. So I'm trying again with that, but it has only been in for a month or two. I won't know how it compares long term for at least a year or two.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Any thoughts?
I recently renovated a whole bathroom, and used epoxy grout. Vastly superior to ordinary grout, though trickier to apply (and more expensive).

Where glass meets tile (e.g., my unframed glass showerscreen) a neutral cure silicone is best. Such silicones have better adhesion and weatherproofing properties compared to acetoxy (vinegar-smell) silicones -- making them a superior option for wet area applications.

You might also find Renovate Forums a useful resource for this sort of thing. Lots of experts there.

Likes dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt

Related to DIY bathroom glassblock window caulk vs grout

1. What is the difference between caulk and grout for sealing a glassblock window in a DIY bathroom project?

Caulk and grout are both commonly used to seal joints and gaps in construction projects. However, they have different properties and functions. Caulk is a flexible material, often made of silicone or latex, that is used to seal gaps and joints where there may be movement, such as around windows and doors. Grout, on the other hand, is a cement-based material that is used to fill gaps and joints between tiles or other materials. In the case of a glassblock window, caulk would be the better choice as it allows for movement without cracking.

2. Which one is more durable for a glassblock window in a bathroom - caulk or grout?

Caulk is generally considered to be more durable for sealing a glassblock window in a bathroom. This is because it is flexible and can withstand movement and changes in temperature without cracking. Grout, on the other hand, is more likely to crack over time, especially in areas with high humidity and moisture, such as a bathroom.

3. Can I use both caulk and grout for a glassblock window in my DIY bathroom project?

While it is technically possible to use both caulk and grout for a glassblock window, it is not recommended. The two materials have different properties and functions, and using them together can cause issues such as cracking, peeling, and discoloration. It is best to choose one or the other for sealing your glassblock window.

4. Is there a specific type of caulk or grout that is best for a glassblock window in a bathroom?

Yes, there are specific types of caulk and grout that are designed for use in wet areas such as bathrooms. When choosing a caulk, look for one that is labeled as waterproof or for use in bathrooms. For grout, choose a cement-based or epoxy-based product that is also labeled for use in wet areas. These types of caulk and grout will be more resistant to moisture and mold growth.

5. How often should I recaulk or regrout my glassblock window in a bathroom?

The frequency of recaulking or regrouting your glassblock window will depend on several factors, such as the quality of the materials used, the climate and humidity levels in your bathroom, and the amount of wear and tear on the window. It is recommended to check for any signs of wear or damage at least once a year and recaulk or regrout as needed. If your window is showing signs of cracking or peeling, it is best to reseal it sooner rather than later to prevent any water damage.