Division with the rectangular form

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solving a division problem involving imaginary numbers without using the polar transformation. One solution suggested is to multiply both the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. However, the correct solution is found by also including the denominator in the multiplication. Finally, the summary acknowledges the assistance provided and concludes the conversation.
Truthlover
Hi everyone, I was questionning myself about a problem that I have surely learn in school but I want to know if it's possible to solve a division with imaginary numbers without using the polar transformation.

Example: [tex]\frac{2+2i}{1-i}[/tex]

So with the polar tansformation we have this:[tex]\frac{2\sqrt{2}\angle45°}{\sqrt{2}\angle-45°}[/tex][tex]=2i[/tex]

Now I was wondering if someone know a way to find the solution of 2i without the polar transformation. If it's the case can you show me how you have done it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Multiply both numerator and denominator with the complex conjugate of (1 - i ).

I'm not sure if I do the right thing but the conugate of (1-i) is (1+i). So if we do the multiplaction it give: (2+2i)*(1+i)= (2*1)+(2*i)+(2i*1)+(2i*i)= 2+2i+2i-2=4i

This is not the answer. What I have done wrong?

Last edited:
Truthlover said:
I'm not sure if I do the right thing but the conugate of (1-i) is (1+i). So if we do the multiplaction it give: (2+2i)*(1+i)= (2*1)+(2*i)+(2i*1)+(2i*i)= 2+2i+2i-2=4i

This is not the answer. What I have done wrong?
You didn't include the denominator!

[tex]\frac{2+2i}{1-i}\frac{1+i}{1+i}= \frac{(2+2i)(1+i)}{(1-i)(1+i)}[/tex]
Now the numerator is, as you say, 4i. The denominator is 1- i2= 2.

[tex]\frac{2+2i}{1- i}= \frac{4i}{2}= 2i[/tex]

which is correct:
[tex](2i)(1- i)= 2i- 2i^2= 2+ 2i[/tex].

I feel really stupid but thanks a lot

Related to Division with the rectangular form

What is division with the rectangular form?

Division with the rectangular form is a method of dividing complex numbers in which the complex numbers are expressed in their rectangular form, with a real and imaginary component.

How is division with the rectangular form performed?

To divide complex numbers using the rectangular form, you must first convert the complex numbers into their rectangular form. Then, you can use the formula (a+bi)/(c+di) = [(a+bi)(c-di)]/[(c+di)(c-di)] to simplify the expression.

Why is division with the rectangular form important?

Division with the rectangular form is important because it allows us to divide complex numbers without using polar coordinates, which can be more complicated and time-consuming.

What are some common mistakes made when dividing with the rectangular form?

One common mistake is forgetting to change the sign of the imaginary component when dividing by a complex number. Another mistake is not simplifying the resulting expression by combining like terms.

How can I check my answer when dividing with the rectangular form?

You can check your answer by multiplying the divisor and quotient together. If the result is the original dividend, then your answer is correct.