Understanding Water Displacement: How Much Water Do I Need to Float at 160 lbs?

• Thread starter Bow Hunter Brandon
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of floating in water and how it is affected by weight, volume, and density. It is determined that in order to float, a person must displace enough water to create a buoyant force equal to their weight. The conversation also brings up the idea of density and how it affects buoyancy. It is concluded that Archimedes' principle can be used to calculate the buoyant force and that in order to float in a boat, the combined weight of the person and the boat must be taken into consideration.)
Bow Hunter Brandon
First I want to say that some of these discussions are way over my head but others I find very interesting and I will continue to read through the threads just to exspand my understanding. I have tried a few searches and not found exacly what I am looking for so here it is.
I want to figure out what it will take to float myself in water.
My weight is 160 lbs and my understanding is that water is 62 lb per cubic foot for its weight. So to me that means 160/62= the amount of water I need to diplace to float myself or or 2.58 cubic feet of water needs to be diplaced. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Uhm, float yourself? I think most people float on top of water normally, I sure do.

I go in the pool and lay down and I float on top, no problem at all. So I'm confused...

Originally posted by Bow Hunter Brandon
or 2.58 cubic feet of water needs to be diplaced. Is that correct?
Yep. You'll need to displace at least 2.58 ft3 of water to float.

- Warren

I'm thinking that the density of your body needs to be factored into the equation. If you have a lot of 'blubber' you will be more buoyant than a lean person of equal weight with a higher level of muscularity.

[edit]
On the other hand, I'm thinking more along the lines of scuba diving, were a 'fattish' person will require more lead weights on his/her belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by BoulderHead
I'm thinking that the density
What else do you think weight and volume would be used to determine? The statement a 162 lb man must displace more than 2.58 ft3 of water to float is equivalent to the statement the man must be less dense than water to float.

- Warren

I think I confused myself.

I was thinking not of displacement, but how some people are more buoyant than others...
Does that make any sense? I’m confused…

Originally posted by BoulderHead
I was thinking not of displacement, but how some people are more buoyant than others...
Does that make any sense? I’m confused…
Fat percentage and lung volume are the two largest variables.

- Warren

Originally posted by Bow Hunter Brandon
My weight is 160 lbs and my understanding is that water is 62 lb per cubic foot for its weight. So to me that means 160/62= the amount of water I need to diplace to float myself or or 2.58 cubic feet of water needs to be diplaced. Is that correct? [/B]

I think this is correct (I have no idea about the numbers though).

The relation betwenn this and density is that the amount of water you displace is related to your volume.

Sometimes exagerating things help understanding. For instance, imagine you weight 160 lbs, and that you are extremely big, so that your legs already have a VOLUME of 2.58 cubic feet. This means that once you have submerged them, you already pushed away all the water you needed in order to float.

On the other hand, if you weight the same 160, but your whole body only occupies 2 cubic feet, then even if you sink completely you won't displace enough water to have a buoyant force equal to your weight.

Does that help?

It helps me clear out a few cobwebs from out of my head. Thanks!

follow up

Im sorry I should of been more specific. I was trying to keep it simple and instead made it more difficult. By float myself in water I should of said float myself in a boat. In the example I should of said myself and the boat weight would be 160 lbs.

The same discussion applies.

- Warren

eureka!
ok all kidding aside, you can use Archimedes principle here with no problem whotseuever.
ρ-naught/ρ-fluid = Volumme-fluid/Volume-naught
Also, since you're not accelerating when you're floating, the sum of the forces = ma = 0, so Bouancy force = mg = ρVolume

1. How does water displacement determine how much water I need to float at 160 lbs?

Water displacement is a scientific principle that states that when an object is placed in water, it will displace an amount of water equal to its own volume. This means that the more volume an object has, the more water it will displace, and the more buoyant force it will experience. In the case of a person weighing 160 lbs, the amount of water needed to float will depend on their body volume.

2. What factors contribute to the amount of water displacement needed for a person weighing 160 lbs to float?

The main factor that contributes to the amount of water displacement needed for a person to float is their body volume. Other factors that may play a role include the density of the individual's body, as well as the density and temperature of the water.

3. Can a person weighing 160 lbs float in any body of water?

Yes, a person weighing 160 lbs can float in any body of water as long as the water's density is greater than their body density. This means that the water must be less dense than the person's body in order for them to experience enough buoyant force to float.

4. Does the shape of an object affect its water displacement?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its water displacement. Objects with a larger surface area will displace more water and therefore experience more buoyant force. This is why objects with a wide, flat bottom, like a boat, can float more easily than objects with a small surface area, like a rock.

5. How does understanding water displacement relate to everyday life?

Understanding water displacement can be useful in everyday life, especially in activities like swimming and boating. It can also help us understand why some objects float and others sink, and how to calculate the amount of water needed to float an object of a certain weight. Additionally, this knowledge is important in fields such as engineering and architecture, where buoyancy plays a role in designing structures that can withstand the forces of water.