Division between QM and Interpretations

In summary: DecoherenceIs a theoretical concept derived from the Schrodinger equation and is considered to be a measurable phenomenon. It attempts to explain the loss of coherence in a system, particularly in the context of quantum mechanics. However, its ability to fully resolve the measurement problem is still a topic of debate and interpretation. While some experts believe it is not enough, others argue that it can be combined with other assumptions. The concept of decoherence has been recognized with a Nobel Prize in physics in 2012, and is a widely studied topic in quantum mechanics.
meBigGuy
Gold Member
Trying to relate a bit better to where QM stops, and Interpretations begin. Especially with respect to Decoherence.

Is Decoherence seen as a measurable phenomena, or, just as a "possible" explanation for measurable phenomena? Obviously when I mark a path in a 2 slit experiment I cause decoherence (or, I lose coherence). Are there multiple connotations for Decoherence?

Does it get fuzzy when one tries to take Decoherence too far?

I'm hoping to avoid a right/wrong private theory or Interpretation, but rather get a cleaner understand of the division.

Physics news on Phys.org
Decoherence is a measurable phenomenon, theoretically derived from the Schrodinger equation without any controversial interpretational assumptions. In fact, the Nobel prize for physics in 2012 is awarded for experiments on decoherence.

The controversial and interpretation-dependent part is whether decoherence alone is sufficient to resolve the measurement problem. Most experts agree that it is not, because it cannot resolve the definite-outcome problem, unless one assumes something more.

For more details see also
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0312059 [Rev.Mod.Phys.76:1267-1305,2004]

That jives with what I thought, that the basic phenomenon is uncontroversial, but not the end of the story. I'm embarrassed I don't even know about the Nobel :(

Hmmm... there are two papers with that name, http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/5439/

Related to Division between QM and Interpretations

1. What is the division between quantum mechanics and interpretations?

The division between quantum mechanics and interpretations refers to the different ways in which scientists and theorists interpret the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. While the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics is well-established and widely accepted, there are still ongoing debates and disagreements about the meaning and implications of its principles.

2. What are the main interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The main interpretations of quantum mechanics include the Copenhagen interpretation, the Many-Worlds interpretation, the De Broglie-Bohm interpretation, and the Transactional interpretation. Each of these interpretations offers a different way of understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How do these interpretations differ from each other?

These interpretations differ in their explanations for the behavior of particles at the quantum level. For example, the Copenhagen interpretation focuses on the role of the observer and the collapse of the wave function, while the Many-Worlds interpretation suggests that every possible outcome of an event actually occurs in separate parallel universes.

4. Why is there a division between quantum mechanics and interpretations?

The division between quantum mechanics and interpretations exists because there is no consensus on which interpretation is the most accurate or complete. Different scientists and theorists have different perspectives and arguments for their preferred interpretation, leading to ongoing debates and discussions in the field.

5. How does the division between quantum mechanics and interpretations impact scientific research?

The division between quantum mechanics and interpretations can impact scientific research in various ways. It can lead to different experimental approaches and methods being used to test different interpretations, and it can also influence the development and acceptance of new theories and models. Additionally, the division can also impact funding and resources allocated to different research projects and interpretations.