Failure to Start: Causes & Costs of Indy Cars

• Thread starter Janitor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Failure
In summary, an Indy car costs millions of dollars and usually fails to start because of the high RPMs.
Janitor
Science Advisor
Um, "Failure to start."

I can kind of understand that in most Indianapolis 500 races cars suffer gearbox failures that put them out of the race. The RPM involved are much higher than for a street car. But many times I have seen cars towed away from the start line due to not starting. What is the explanation for this? How much does an Indy car cost? My vehicle has a Bluebook value of $800, and it fails to start once every four years when the battery fails. Even then, I can get it started by pushing it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How much does the car cost is difficult, do you go by just the materials and time to construct or factor in the R&D and expenses to bring the team of support people. Millions either way.

But the engine is tuned to work at 14,000 RPM and produce its power up there. Turning over at 500 RPM doesn't exactly fall into the powerband where the airflow has been optimized.

But I agree, with all that money on the line it doesn't make sense to show up and not play the game.

Cliff

Good point about aspiration. But it seems like if it started okay the day before, it should start okay on race day, even if the temperature and humidity in Indianapolis are a bit different than they were.

One driver today could not get started until all the others were well into the pace lap, but finally he got underway.

What with rain delays, the race is still going on. A car owned by David Letterman is leading.

I remember about five or ten years ago at Indy, there was a crash that broke the nose off of a car. You could see the driver's shoes dragging on the pavement as the his car rolled to a stop. They took him to the hospital, and I never heard any more about him. Can anybody remember who the driver was, and is he racing again? His first or last name may have been Paul.

1. What are the common causes of failure to start for Indy Cars?

The most common causes of failure to start for Indy Cars include mechanical issues such as engine failure, transmission problems, and electrical malfunctions. Other causes can include human error, fuel system issues, and weather conditions.

2. How much does it cost to repair a failed Indy Car?

The cost of repairing a failed Indy Car can vary greatly depending on the extent of the damage and the specific parts that need to be replaced. In general, repairs for engine failure or transmission issues can cost tens of thousands of dollars, while smaller repairs for electrical malfunctions or fuel system problems can range from a few thousand dollars to several thousand dollars.

3. Are there any preventative measures that can be taken to avoid failure to start for Indy Cars?

Yes, there are several preventative measures that can be taken to avoid failure to start for Indy Cars. Regular maintenance and inspections can help identify any potential issues before they become major problems. It is also important to ensure that all parts and components are in good working condition and to follow recommended safety protocols when operating the vehicle.

4. How does failure to start impact the overall performance of an Indy Car?

Failure to start can have a significant impact on the overall performance of an Indy Car. It can lead to missed races and lost opportunities for points and prize money. It can also damage the reputation and credibility of the team and driver, as well as the sponsorships and partnerships associated with the car.

5. What steps are taken to prevent failure to start during races?

To prevent failure to start during races, teams typically conduct thorough inspections and tests before every race to ensure that all systems and components are functioning properly. They also have backup plans and backup cars in case of any unexpected issues. Additionally, drivers are trained to monitor their car's performance and to communicate any concerns to the team while on the track.